Can friend sue me ?

I just treat jobs for friends as normal professional jobs but charge half price mates' rates - £100 a day.

(Sometimes I work for beer money if it's something new to me and my mates help out and are acting as guinea pigs!!)

Sponsored Links
if you dont want to do a job for a friend of a friend say its impossible due to health and safety, it seems to work for everything else!!!!!!!!

masona said:
Any idea how much insurance would be?

I pay around £90 for a million. Public Liability. But I don't work with flame or 3 phase which makes it cheaper.

Last job I did for a friend was a new bathroom suite in a 5th floor flat, no problem, except the lift was out of order when I got there! lost about 1/2 a stone.

lisap, long time no see hope u r OK x

Sponsored Links
Yes, but it is far more fun to get drunk and whizz around in someone else's boat than it is to get drunk and do electrics. Thus you are more likely to do it :LOL:

AdamW said:
Yes, but it is far more fun to get drunk and whizz around in someone else's boat than it is to get drunk and do electrics. Thus you are more likely to do it :LOL:

I'm not covered for that, driving boats drunk (or sober). Just tinkering.

Is there such a thing as boating under the influence? I used to know several people with boats on the Thames, they were always driving them pi**ed as a fart. I don't mean a pint with lunch, I mean rolling drunk.

AdamW said:
Is there such a thing as boating under the influence? I used to know several people with boats on the Thames, they were always driving them pi**ed as a fart. I don't mean a pint with lunch, I mean rolling drunk.

I was trying to find another story of a guy than ran aground on a breakwater (whilst tiddly) but found this, which pretty much covers everything!

But the case I was trying to find has caused all sorts of ruptions throughout the industry, resulting in old merchant shipping laws etc. being applied to pleasure craft. Put very simply, it meant a lot of vessels (over 40 odd foot I think?) were leaving the factory unable to comply with existing legislation... :oops:

The case I was thinking of makes no mention of alcohol being blamed (I heard otherwise ;) )

mcga-pros_2002_11.jpg

Date of Offence: 28th Oct. 2001

Offences: Failure to keep a proper look out, and having inadequate, time expired and insufficient lifesaving equipment on board.

Details: At a hearing on 7th May 2002 at Weymouth Magistrates Court, the owner of the 15 metre motor yacht "MANDATOR" was convicted of both offences. During the evening of 28th October last year the "MANDATOR" struck the breakwater at Portland at high speed, causing extensive damage to the vessel and injuring one of the passengers. All three people on board were later rescued by the Weymouth Lifeboat. The "MANDATOR" was salvaged and taken to Hamble by barge for repairs. When the vessel was inspected by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency’s Enforcement Unit it was discovered that the distress flares were severely out of date, the lifebuoys were in a poor state of repair and they were not fitted with light and smoke floats as required by safety regulations.

Mr Alan Fairney, Principal Surveyor at the Southampton Marine Office said after the case that:

“Whilst nobody at the MCA would wish to see the leisure use of the sea unnecessarily regulated, owners of large motor cruisers do come under the scope of the Collision Regulations and over a certain size the Lifesaving Saving Appliance Regulations. Mr Shipley endangered himself and his passengers both by passing so close to the breakwater at speed and in the dark without keeping a proper lookout, and by failing to ensure that vital safety equipment was in good order. Fortunately the prompt response of the RNLI meant that Mr Shipley did not need to call upon this equipment after the accident.”

Penalty: £1,500 for failing to keep a lookout, £1,000 for the offences relating to the flares and lifebuoys, plus costs of £3,500.
Defendants: Mr Andrew Scott (Owner)

Mr George Wood (Skipper)

But still no mention of booze being blamed! I suppose USUALLY boats are rather spaced apart. And on rivers they are meant to be going at a crawling pace so any collision with another similar-sized boat is unlikely to cause much damage. I would be somewhat vexed if a drunk ran over my dinghy with a yacht, mind.

Ah, the RNLI: understandably miffed after the AA declared themselves to be the 4th emergency service!

Sponsored Links
Back