Can I demolish this wall that previously housed an old boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping someone can give me a little more knowledge on if this wall can be removed and be made flush in line with the door. Please see photos attached.

Attachments

• 725279DF-DD79-4B01-9419-6C1D3F5B5798.jpeg
    725279DF-DD79-4B01-9419-6C1D3F5B5798.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm afraid I can't be much help as I'm only a DIY'er, but that looks like a very poorly supported concrete lintel.

The fact that it's a lintel, suggests it is load bearing (or why use a lintel!), though we can't see what it is supporting (if anything), from the photo.

...and any work involving load bearing walls usually needs approval and inspection from building control. See:

https://www.labc.co.uk/homeowners/d...cation-specific-projects/internal-alterations

I hope that dangling cable has been properly isolated elsewhere as well! ;)

Hi, Thank you for your input, I have also attached a few more pictures of the wall and above the Lintel.

Yes the cable is not drawing any power lol

Attachments

• External Photo of walled structure.jpg
    External Photo of walled structure.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Ceiling inside walled structure.jpg
    Ceiling inside walled structure.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Above Lintel.jpg
    Above Lintel.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Beam side View.jpg
    Beam side View.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 96
I think your new photos show that what I thought was a concrete lintel in the first photo, is really the edge of a concrete slab?

EDIT: or is the lintel supporting that concrete slab?

Do you know what's above the slab?

As I said before, I am only a DIY'er and may be very wrong, but your photos suggest to me that the wall was at some point load bearing (and may probably still need to be!).
At the very least, the corner of that slab (or lintel) needs proper support.

I think getting in a structural engineer may be prudent, but that's just me :)

If you want some further advice on here, you may want to ask the mods to move this thread to 'building'

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi,

Yes you are right that the edge you saw was just the edge of the concrete slab. The concrete slab is being supported by the brick walls.

Above the slab is the wood beam in the center running across, see image called "Above Lintel" (I also note now that is not a lintel).

Thank you for your input, I have scheduled in a structural engineer just to be sure this afternoon.

Good choice, it might be simple and the wall can come straight down, but at least there will be no doubt.
Good luck (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back