Can I fit an unvented cylinder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I go on your list? Can I, can I....oh it's alright, I've put you on mine. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
i'll put you on mine sooey

if it makes you feel better

welcome to the club
drunk-irish-048.gif

Sponsored Links
See if we are all on ignore Iconic, how will you ever get any advice?
I don't need any advice, as I have a working Megaflow that's about to be serviced with tender loving care.

Hmmmm... Perhaps spanners and a little knowlage might be a better idea... Oh well, sometimes the gene pool of life benefits from a little chlorine

ive been on my wifes ignore list since i tryed to stick it up her arse in 2002.

G3 says this:

A hot water storage system that has a hot
water storage vessel which does not incorporate
a vent pipe to the atmosphere shall be installed
by a person competent to do so, and there shall
be precautions—

and just how do you propose to prove competency without a certificate :rolleyes:
That says that you have to be competent, not that you have to be able to prove it.

How ever much you wish it were otherwise, the law does NOT require a particular qualification.

there has been inserted text into the Approved Document that
recommends the employment of a person who is able to demonstrate their competence
through membership of a competent persons self-certification scheme or by the holding
of a current registered operative card for unvented hot water systems.
"Recommends", not "mandates".

SEEMS BUILDING REGS WANT YOU TO HAVE A TICKET OR BE A MEMBER OF A BODY THAT SAYS YOU ARE COMPETENT ;)
The Building Regulations are law, the Approved Documents are not.

The Approved Documents give advice which you are legally allowed to ignore.

The advice recommends that the work be done by someone qualified, but no matter how good an idea that is the fact remains that the law does not require it.

It does say it in that 2 page document somewhere so please stop being pedantic.
No it doesn't.

It says it's an offence not to notify, and it says that when you notify you have to say whether or not the installer is registered.

i.e. it clearly allows for the situation that the installer is not registered.

Is your definition of pedant "someone who can actually read"?

And just how do you intend to get around G3. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As I said whether you like it, want an argument, or just too thick to understand, you need G3 ticket to install and work on unvented cylinders.

It's the LAW.
Could you please tell us which law, and point to, or ideally quote, the words of the section concerned?

[EDIT]Formatting corrected[/EDIT]

(c) the name of the body, if any, which has issued any current registered operative identity
card to the installer or proposed installer of the system
.[/i]

Goldberg, if you are too mean to pay your £165 to get the relevant Certificate to work on an unvented cylinder then how will you meet the requirements quoted above?

To become a registered operative you need to have the relevant certificate. How do you propose to get round that?
Try reading that again, paying particular attention to the part I've highlighted to draw your attention to it.

It says "the name of the body, if any..." because it recognises that the work might be notified and done by someone who is not registered.

The problem is that when you experts say "you can't/mustn't/shouldn't do <whatever>", then no matter how well meaning your advice is, and no matter how true it is that without proper training, and experience, and the right tools it really isn't safe to do <whatever>, for as long as you wrap it all up with patently false statements about what the law requires, people will see that you aren't telling the truth and will discount everything you say.

Thank you for your encouragement, glasgowgas, and for this informative and well-meaning post.

I agree that a G3 certificate is probably essential for those people who learn only by attending a specific training course, but that isn't the only way of learning. Aptitude and prior knowledge are both relevant - what you don't know, and what nobody has bothered to find out, is that I'm better qualified in the field of thermodynamics than probably any one of the spanner monkeys on here. As it turns out, a domestic unvented installation is not a challenge.

But that shouldn't even have mattered, because at no point did I ask anyone to give me information or support that needed them to trust my view that I'm competent.

In case you don't recall, at no point have I asked for advice, contrary to what you've claimed above. Please read my posts - I never asked anyone for their opinion on the cause of the dripping. This is because I had always wanted to solve the problem myself, and had followed the legal debate with interest in order to find out what I was allowed to do.

At any point, anybody could have asked me what action I'd already taken before posting, which was nothing. After some research that evening I uncoupled the pipe on the outlet from the valve on top of the expansion vessel - anyone can see that this is a safe action because the other end of that pipe is open to the atmosphere.

Instead of pointing me in the direction of a label, or asking me what I'd done, everyone (except you and, later on, Agile) proceeded to sneer, mock, throw sarcastic comments, or post factually incorrect information.

I'm not asking for an explanation of why those people behave like this, although privately I consider it obvious that they share an insecurity that is satisfied only by attempting to bully.

But it doesn't matter what I believe, because anyone reading the posts can see the plain truth, which is that I've been polite, calm, and rational, whereas the prejudiced characters who purport to help novices have merged rather too easily into a baying mob, and have made an absolutely disastrous job of actually helping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back