'Can I have a white doctor for the operation?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
So is it racist to ask for a white Doctor to perform the operation?
Racists of course will insist it's not...

So let them go to the end of the queue until they can be seen by a 'cherished' white person...

It'll probably be a long queue...

And hopefully one they won't regret joining ;)

Genuine question. My East end londoner 90 year old father in law is pretty deaf. Can't hear at all in one ear, just about can hear a bit in the other with an aid. He struggles badly within the NHS because of staff from overseas, cannot understand accents at all, nothing much than from the South of England where he has lived all his life..
He's asked to speak to a British doctor twice when he started to get in ill health about 10 years ago, some of it seriously. It was really frowned upon, had a frosty reception, nobody helped anyway and now whenever he has an appointment, one of us has to go with him because he just didn't have a clue what was going on, which is poor. Being able to understand something as important as medical issues is a must, no?

Is he racist? Because he was made to feel so.

Sponsored Links
A different matter, or it should be...

No problem in asking to be understood...

Would it be considered racist if you couldn't understand a broad Glaswegian or Liverpudlian accent regardless of skin colour?

Genuine question. My East end londoner 90 year old father in law is pretty deaf. Can't hear at all in one ear, just about can hear a bit in the other with an aid. He struggles badly within the NHS because of staff from overseas, cannot understand accents at all, nothing much than from the South of England where he has lived all his life..
He's asked to speak to a British doctor twice when he started to get in ill health about 10 years ago, some of it seriously. It was really frowned upon, had a frosty reception, nobody helped anyway and now whenever he has an appointment, one of us has to go with him because he just didn't have a clue what was going on, which is poor. Being able to understand something as important as medical issues is a must, no?

The NHS relies on other countries to train the drs and work over here. We need more doctors simply because our population has grown and aged.

So your father was not racist.

You see, I didn't think it was racist, it was common sense. But he was made to feel bad and communication broke down further.

You see, I didn't think it was racist, it was common sense. But he was made to feel bad and communication broke down further.
Communication is the key...

In a similar vein, I certainly don't think it's racist if you are put through to a foreign call centre and have to mention 'sorry I didn't understand what you were saying'!

Hospitals have started introducing new rules about communications between staff and patients. Whether you need large print, a HA loop etc...... it should be very easy for him to hand a written notice to the hospital staff explaining what they need to do to make themselves understood.

Hospitals have started introducing new rules about communications between staff and patients. Whether you need large print, a HA loop etc...... it should be very easy for him to hand a written notice to the hospital staff explaining what they need to do to make themselves understood.
He told them in person, does it have to be hand written? I've seen it happen myself, he explains that he is hard of hearing, asks politely they speak up and slowly and they don't take any notice. He no longer asks for a British doc, just to help him understand. Whipps Cross hosp isn't the best for any elderly care.

Edited to add https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23808971
This happened at the same time my dementia suffering mother in law was there. In a ward opposite. Mother in law was left to rot there for 2 weeks, care was non-existent.

Last edited by a moderator:
He told them in person, does it have to be hand written? I've seen it happen myself, he explains that he is hard of hearing, asks politely they speak up and slowly and they don't take any notice. He no longer asks for a British doc, just to help him understand. Whipps Cross hosp isn't the best for any elderly care.

Whipps Cross. That's really been underfunded for a while. It's finally been given money for a new Hospital last month. I had the misfortune of using that about 20 years ago.

You will find though NHS service is generally acceptable across the country there are pockets where it falls short.

However with the NHS cuts more services are being take from DGH to larger central hospitals - its a worse outcome for the patients having to travel further for the same service.

This happened at the same time my dementia suffering mother in law was there. In a ward opposite. Mother in law was left to rot there for 2 weeks, care was non-existent.

Sounds like you're FinL is in the midst of more of a problem than just comms, with their attitude to him being another symptom of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back