'Can I have a white doctor for the operation?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
One should not be too concerned about being called a racist. It has an ever-changing definition and is currently used as a "silver bullet" by loonie lefties to silence anybody speaking the truth.

As to doctors - most of my recent dealings with the NHS have been with foreign doctors (and nurses) and they have all been excellent people; credits to their countries.

But it is wrong that they are here when we are paying so many millions of our own people to do nothing. Also, our fetishising of foreigners is depriving other countries of their best people.

Sponsored Links
One should not be too concerned about being called a racist. It has an ever-changing definition and is currently used as a "silver bullet" by loonie lefties to silence anybody speaking the truth.

As to doctors - most of my recent dealings with the NHS have been with foreign doctors (and nurses) and they have all been excellent people; credits to their countries.

But it is wrong that they are here when we are paying so many millions of our own people to do nothing. Also, our fetishising of foreigners is depriving other countries of their best people.

I had no idea there are millions of unemployed doctors in this country, paid to do nothing.

When I go to the docs, most times it is a foreign doc then it is often hard to understand them.

Asking for a white doctor may be racist but asking for one that speaks clear english can't be.

Sponsored Links
E.g. in Sodthisforfun's example, the problem was not defined, explained or communicated, and an inappropriate solution, potentially misconstrued motive, applied. Under these circumstances the service provider is totally within their rights to dismiss such a request.
(So it is not only speakers of foreign languages that have difficulty in making themselves properly understood.)
If the problem (of extreme difficulty in hearing) had been communicated and a request for any available assistance, I suspect the service provider (having several available options) would be happy to comply. As Securespark suggested, options are available, including a designated helper. I have intentionally avoided the term 'carer'.

Oh get stuffed Himmy.

And may I ask, were you there? Were you? How condescending your post is. I do not understand why "I am almost completely deaf, I can't understand accents, can I speak to a British doc please" isn't defined or communicated. Keep your condescending, patronising, incorrect and presumptuous thoughts to yourself.

When I go to the docs, most times it is a foreign doc then it is often hard to understand them.

Asking for a white doctor may be racist but asking for one that speaks clear english can't be.

This post should have been number 2, not thirty something. End of thread.

First of all, Hello to everyone.
Secondly, my comment is purely my own opinion and in now way represents any official opinion or policy of any service provider.

Is it racist to request a white doctor? Yes, absolutely!
Is it racist to request a British doctor? Let us first of all throw out the window any notion of colour prejudice, because requesting a British doctor can in no way guarantee a white caucasian doctor! Even the word 'caucasian' refers to European descent, not British. Many, many British doctors are of ethnic-minority descent.
Is it xenophobic (which is considered racist) to request a British doctor? Yes, absolutely!

However, the confusion might arise because the problem is not correctly defined, or poorly communicated, and an inappropriate solution identified or demanded.
E.g. in Sodthisforfun's example, the problem was not defined, explained or communicated, and an inappropriate solution, potentially misconstrued motive, applied. Under these circumstances the service provider is totally within their rights to dismiss such a request.
(So it is not only speakers of foreign languages that have difficulty in making themselves properly understood.)
If the problem (of extreme difficulty in hearing) had been communicated and a request for any available assistance, I suspect the service provider (having several available options) would be happy to comply. As Securespark suggested, options are available, including a designated helper. I have intentionally avoided the term 'carer'.

Asking for a British doctor will not guarantee effective communication. Some foreign doctors (e.g. especially those from America, Australia, Canada, Ireland, South Africa etc,) may be more easily understood than a British doctor from say Ireland (NI), Liverpool, Scotland, Wales, Newcastle, Birmingham, etc.
Additionally, Scandinavian speakers of English frequently display little or no accent.

It is well known that speakers of all languages adopt the predominate accent of their teachers. For instance, children grow up speaking with the accent of their peers. Exactly the same applies to foreign students of English, they invariably adopt the accent of their teachers.
Only through contact with a wide variety of other English speakers do we lose our regional accents.
(Some retain the ability to seamlessly return to their regional accent, sometimes with intentional comical effect, e.g Lenny Henry.)

Is it reasonable to expect service providers to comply with requests for specific requirements?
How far should we responsibly go? Some hypothetical examples: my Mother has alzheimer's, should I expect (morally or reasonably) the service provider to accommodate her requirements. My son has a developmental disability, should I morally or reasonably expect the service provider to accommodate his needs?
Or should I morally and reasonably expect to provide some support to my relatives?

Finally, is it legal for an employer to allocate work based on the employee's nationality? Therefore, can a request to be treated by a British doctor be legally complied with? I suspect not.
God forbid that we are ever in any situation where a national identity determines the suitability of a person to carry out certain duties. That has all the connotations of nationalism, fascism, or nazism.

your favorite subject Himagin :rolleyes:;)

:LOL:

Perhaps your response explains why service providers politely ignore such requests and do not enter into any discussion about it.

I am sorry that you were offended. That was not my intention.

Communication is easily misunderstood and misconstrued.

Welcome back Old Bean, how are you?.....keeping well I hope.

I see the obsession with racism is as strong as always. :)

Oh get stuffed Himmy.

And may I ask, were you there? Were you? How condescending your post is. I do not understand why "I am almost completely deaf, I can't understand accents, can I speak to a British doc please" isn't defined or communicated. Keep your condescending, patronising, incorrect and presumptuous thoughts to yourself.

As Matty said, it should be acceptable to ask for a doctor that speaks clear English, it doesnt matter what nationality they are.

I take my father to an eye clinic quite often, the doctors and consultants all vary in in nationality and ability to speak clearly. There is black guy with dreadlocks that speaks really clear English, with just a hint of Jamaican, an Indian consultant that is obviously public school and clear as a bell, a Scottish guy that I have trouble understanding and a lady nurse that is from the Philappines that has no patience with elderly people and is quite rude.

There was a case a good while back about organ donation

some thing along the lines of a father refused to allow his deceased sons organs to be used for a transplant

if it could not be guaranteed that they would not be given to a non white person

some thing like that ??

Perhaps your response explains why service providers politely ignore such requests and do not enter into any discussion about it.

I am sorry that you were offended. That was not my intention.

Communication is easily misunderstood and misconstrued.
Yes, you did misunderstand everything I wrote, and put your patronising spin on it, telling people what they said and what they meant. Seriously, go away Himmy. This place is so much nicer without you in it.

So he would not want a Scot Geoedie,Scouse, Cornish.West country,doctor etc....no one but a southern plumby accent?...
Try reading my posts and you'll find your answer.
By the way, Southern accents are not all plumby, nice to see your judgement and stereotyping of anything South is alive and kicking! My father in law is a East Londoner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back