'Can I have a white doctor for the operation?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Underfunded doesn't and shouldn't equal an appalling attitude to the elderly and vulnerable. It's no excuse. Whipps, if my FIL is to be believed were really bad when they looked after his own mother, some 40 years ago.
Father in law was sent to Queens in Romford when he had a stroke and they, although also have a bad reputation, spoke to him with kindness. He spent his whole time in A&E due to no beds in a ward but looked after him very well.

Sponsored Links
OK, but you said he was deaf. The hospital have a duty to put alternative procedures in place so that he can understand what is being said to him. Maybe they could write messages for him to read?

Sponsored Links
OK, but you said he was deaf. The hospital have a duty to put alternative procedures in place so that he can understand what is being said to him. Maybe they could write messages for him to read?
Yes, they have a duty. But they don't. Not sure if you read the post I wrote explaining?
They can't really write down all the complicated procedures down, when explaining what's wrong with him, tend to just have short appointments! As I said, one of us go with him, just so we can be his ears and tell him whats being said at the time. It's accents he has trouble with, with the exception of the South of England and for some reason, Irish :) Whipps Cross doesn't have many South of England hospital staff, at least, not at his appointments.

Yes, they have a duty. But they don't.
Then you need to make a complaint. It's not the patient's fault if the appointment slots are too short. It's a very fundamental thing to be able to communicate and understand.

Underfunded doesn't and shouldn't equal an appalling attitude to the elderly and vulnerable. It's no excuse.

Not an excuse, but insufficient resources will not lead to a good quality service.

Not an excuse, but insufficient resources will not lead to a good quality service.
No it won't, but it really needs to be clamped down on from above. To have a less than human attitude for the elderly, as is apparent at Whipps doesn't cost money to improve.

I don't know how you clamp down on people who don't work for you because they have resigned or taken early retirement due to impossible demands. Do you clamp down on the ones who are still trying?

I don't know how you clamp down on people who don't work for you because they have resigned or taken early retirement due to impossible demands. Do you clamp down on the ones who are still trying?
I appreciate the NHS is really badly funded. Nobody could be more annoyed than I so you don't need to keep banging on. However, people who actually WORK at Whipps cross, in my experience especially the geriatric wards, have had and still have an appalling opinion of their patients. I've seen it first hand on a few occasions, every day for 5 weeks at one stage when my father in law was very poorly with delirium, delirium that was actually caused by lack of very basic care at that same hospital. I can tell you, even after their staff were locked up, the attitude hasn't changed. To be busy and stressed is understandable, to take it out on the very much vulnerable isn't. It is, after all, a caring profession is it not?

Whipps Cross is IMO too big and anonymous.

I hesitate to believe that any hospital selects and recruits people who are callous and uncaring. Many people take up the job because they want to help patients.

However I do believe that it can harden employees and when they find their job impossible, can end up with people who are prepared to tolerate their horrible work.

Let's suppose you are on night duty, on your own, with, say, 40 confused patients. You have to try to cover the next ward because the rostered nurse has not turned up due to exhaustion or mental breakdown. The ward on the other side is staffed overnight by a foreign agency nurse with poor English and unfamiliar with procedures.

Can you do a proper job?

This happens again, and again, and again.

Will you drive yourself to breakdown, will you resign, will you lose faith?

There are too many managers taking a nice salary, thank you very much. Also NHS doctors and consultants who work privately.

Whipps Cross is IMO too big and anonymous.

I hesitate to believe that any hospital selects and recruits people who are callous and uncaring. Many people take up the job because they want to help patients.

However I do believe that it can harden employees and when they find their job impossible, can end up with people who are prepared to tolerate their horrible work.

Let's suppose you are on night duty, on your own, with, say, 40 confused patients. You have to try to cover the next ward because the rostered nurse has not turned up due to exhaustion or mental breakdown. The ward on the other side is staffed overnight by a foreign agency nurse with poor English and unfamiliar with procedures.

Can you do a proper job?

This happens again, and again, and again.

Will you drive yourself to breakdown, will you resign, will you lose faith?
All of this is relevant and true, but they cannot take it out on the patients! I've seen appalling, uncaring attitudes as well as stressed out staff, believe me, there is a difference.
We're just one family and they treated both elderly parents badly. How many more that I don't know of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back