Can I use a thicker flex than recommended

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im connecting a towel rad to the mains and need to extend the flex. Its 400W. I will be using a 3amp fuse in the switched spur.

The guide on this site suggests i should use a flex sized 0.5mm. I have some 1.5mm flex. Is it ok to use that or do i need to get 0.5mm

A friends place has the same towel rad and her electrician used a 0.75mm flex

Does it matter if you use a thicker flex than recommended in this guide
//www.diynot.com/pages/el/el003.php

Sponsored Links
Thicker is not a problem if it will fit, but the conductors may be too large for the terminals, or the outer diameter of the flex might be too large. Depending on the manufacturer's recommendations, you may also need to use heat proof cable.

Sponsored Links
The guide on this site suggests i should use a flex sized 0.5mm.

Table 52.3 of the regs requires 0.75mm² cable unless specified in the "product standard" (whatever that is ???!!).

This is probably why the other electrician installed 0.75mm² instead of 0.5mm².

I'm afraid the guide may be misleading.

How will you join the two cables?

I was going to use a 30 Amp Ring Circuit Junction Box (3 terminal 250V)
This picture is from my neighbours bathroom

I wouldn't be at all happy with the way your neighbour's spark has carried out the work, least of all if it's in a bathroom.

The best way to extend the flex, if at all possible, is to remove the old flex entirely and wire in a longer length to the heater. If this is not possible, the connection could be made by bringing the factory supplied wiring into a flex outlet plate and making the joint in there. Failing that, an inline connection unit with proper cable strain relief would be the way to go.

Of course, if the radiator is in a bathroom, exactly what and how you can do it will depend on what zone the heater is installed in.

I wouldn't be at all happy with the way your neighbour's spark has carried out the work, least of all if it's in a bathroom.

The best way to extend the flex, if at all possible, is to remove the old flex entirely and wire in a longer length to the heater. If this is not possible, the connection could be made by bringing the factory supplied wiring into a flex outlet plate and making the joint in there. Failing that, an inline connection unit with proper cable strain relief would be the way to go.

Of course, if the radiator is in a bathroom, exactly what and how you can do it will depend on what zone the heater is installed in.

Hi Thanks fo rthe advise
I cant find a flex outlet plat with holes for two flexes. I will look into whether i can just replace the flex with a longer one.
When you say inline connection unit with cable strain relief do you mean one of these

Here is how I did mine:

Towelrad.jpg

Here is how I did mine:

Towelrad.jpg

Thanks, thats is how it was before. But ive moved the radiator to other wall. So essentially i need to extend the flex from the radiator by 5meters over the door frame to reach the wall. socket. I cant run the wire in the wall.

Hi Thanks fo rthe advise
I cant find a flex outlet plat with holes for two flexes. I will look into whether i can just replace the flex with a longer one.
When you say inline connection unit with cable strain relief do you mean one of these

Or do u mean one of these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BRH65Z.html

if you can't conceal the new wiring you could run a 1.0/1.5/2.5 twin and earth cable from the original outlet in plastic mini trunking to another flex outlet or unswitched fused spur unit next to the towel rail. here you would presumably use a surface mounted patress box. wire the towel rail flex to the new outlet.

t+e is recommended for fixed wiring. don't forget to use earth sleeving on the bare earth wire. perhaps some of this wiring can be hidden in the loft space if there is one.

is it an option to run the cable under the floor, and buried in the plaster?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back