can I use Aircon 'compressor' to heat water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking out loud here but...
The extension (if and when it gets built) in my new house will be my master suite and I want aircon in the bedroom after getting fed up with hot sleepless nights in summer (yes, even in england!).
AFAIK essentially the bit of a split aircon system that's usually known as the compressor is actually an air source heat pump.
I'm also looking at replacing the old school S-plan heating and indirect DHW cylinder system with a thermal store - so....

Is there any way of getting the heat rejected by the air source heat pump into the thermal store, or is the sort of heat pump that you connect to a thermal store a completely different animal?

I'm primarily looking at the thermal store for mains pressure hot water solution, rather than any eco-credentials, but it would be a shame to miss an obvious trick here.

Sponsored Links
Many supermarkets and large shops do use the heat from Air Con to heat their hot water supply.

Is there ready made equipment suitable for this in a domestic situation ? To answer that would need some research among suppliers.

The one domestic system I have seen was a DIY system that used the heat from the Air Con to to pre-heat water ( warm but not hot ) before it went into a standard cylinder with electric immersion heating.

On those hot sleepless nights, was the outside air temperature low enough to be comfortable? If so, all you need is ventilation - not aircon. You only need aircon if you want an inside temperature below the outside temperature - which might be true during the day, but less likely in England during the night.

Sponsored Links
On those hot sleepless nights, was the outside air temperature low enough to be comfortable? If so, all you need is ventilation - not aircon. You only need aircon if you want an inside temperature below the outside temperature - which might be true during the day, but less likely in England during the night.

Clearly not otherwise he wouldn't have wanted air conditioning...a function of air conditioning is to reduce humidity which in the UK is a greater issue than heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back