can i use coach screws instead of bolts in a bunk bed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I'm making a bunk bed with 2x4 timber for the legs and horizontals (side rails and stuff), can I use coach screws instead of bolts 100mm.

- as this would avoid having bolts sticking out,
and also, if I use 4 inch timber connected to 2 inch side rails a bolt would have to go through the full depth of the 4 inch timber and the 2 inch of the side rail, so this would mean a bolt of over 6 inches in length ?!

I suppose I could put a 1 inch notch in the 4 inch timber post, but that would only save inch.

Sponsored Links
will do (probably take a few weeks though).

Do you not think that 2 coach bolts in each side would weaken a 2x4 post (with 4 holes in a small area) especially if it has a 1 inch notch in it too?

(actually i'll probably only insert 1 coach bolt in the side which has the notch and i suppose i could always have the side rail higher at the front and back)

Sponsored Links
Either can be used, but a coach bolt has just a domed head visible on the outside (acceptable, I think) and the nut end can be counterbored so it can remain flush with the timber.
I do prefer coach bolts to pull down tight, personally but the final choice is yours!
Enjoy your project!
John :)

change of plan,
I've just seen some cheap timber at B&Q:
38x63x2440mm
or 2.5"x1.5" (for £2.44)

I figured I could make an L shape on each corner by screwing pairs of these together (using 8 in total of these as posts).
I could use 6x65mm or 5x75mm screws to join 2 of these together.

Hoping I could still use the same size timber for most of the horizontal side rails too which connect to the posts? but maybe I need more than 2 side rails at each side (1 at the top and another 1 at the bottom)?

(and maybe use 9mm plywood instead of 12mm ply for the shell all around to make the double decker bus shape -as it's a kids theme bunk bed).

when i make beds i use 2x2" planed [44x44mm] for the legs and 6x1" planed [143x21mm] for the rails
i screw the rails into the legs with around 5x2" screws in a "W" pattern
the side rails overlap the head and foot rails by 44mm to give the legs 2 surfaces to screw into
i also have 3 screws through the side rails into the end rails

What about socket-headed set screws, (bolts with allen-key heads). These are available (have a search on Google) but they ain't exactly cheap. The bonus is that the head can be sunk into the wood, without compromising the ability to hold the bolt or take away too much wood.

Hmmm, we all talking about the same thing coach bolts are different from coach screws.

I built the undercarriage for a large garden table out of 4x4, fixed together as you describe, with M10 150mm coach screws. I pre-drilled the holes, and countersunk slightly larger holes in order to recess the heads, using a spade bit. It's pretty solid.

Cheers
Richard

change of plan,
I've just seen some cheap timber at B&Q:
38x63x2440mm
or 2.5"x1.5" (for £2.44)

I figured I could make an L shape on each corner by screwing pairs of these together (using 8 in total of these as posts).
I could use 6x65mm or 5x75mm screws to join 2 of these together.

Hoping I could still use the same size timber for most of the horizontal side rails too which connect to the posts? but maybe I need more than 2 side rails at each side (1 at the top and another 1 at the bottom)?

(and maybe use 9mm plywood instead of 12mm ply for the shell all around to make the double decker bus shape -as it's a kids theme bunk bed).

Beware! Wood from B&Queue is great for making boats as it comes pre-curved. You can sometimes find some straight bits if you have an hour to go through them all.

BTW, a woodyard normally works out a lot cheaper than B&Queue

Hmmm, we all talking about the same thing coach bolts are different from coach screws.
I was taking about coach screws, yes, because I was going to drill into the ends of the side rails from the posts (and it seemed like the easier way to fix together without using those threaded inserts/dowel capsule things or furniture bolts like from ikea. But now I'm using two sets of thinner wood, I will use bolts to secure the side rails to posts.

As for the hex bolts I think they sound too expensive.

I know B&Q is normally more expensive but @ £2.44 for 2.4M (if you buy 20) is really cheap.

besides, even if the posts are not straight, the 9mm plywood used as a shell (to shape the bus) around the timber will hide any slight defects.

Please hurry up. I want to see the end result :LOL:

I have been thinking of making a fire engine for my nephew, not bunk beds but a sit-in toy in the garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back