Can these dusk till dawn photocell sensors be adjusted?

...I turned my attention to the light and what I thought was a wire blank turns out to be a photocell! Therefor the unit that I have replaced on the wall must not have anything to do with the light! (I have no idea what it does, can only assume that its an over ride for some other outside lights that are controlled via a timer.)

Back to my initial problem, how can 'I' make this light only stay on for a period of time?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
IMG_4877.JPG
IMG_4882.JPG

did you try simply covering up the photocell and then see if the light came on and off with the Brown and Grey connected, if it did then keep your new timer and just take the Lights senser out of circuit

Sponsored Links
Thanks Rocky, youre on the ball.

I did but it turns out that the timer has no control over this light. I will have to see if I can find an alternative module to fit to the lights sensor or replace the full unit.

Have you looked in the switch yet, the other end of the 3 core and earth cable may be in there and possibly disconnected so the new light would just run on its own light sensor.

Cheers Rocky, not 100% sure what you mean?

As far as I can tell this light isn't switched anywhere :( just dusk till dawn.

We live in the country and the back door gets swamped with flys due to the light being on all night. It's head doing.

Sorry was getting mixed up with another topic.
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/remove-pir-without-replacing.490420/

So I recall the 4 core has power but appears not related to the light and the other cable end is unlocated.
The light has power and works on the internal photocell.
I think the easiest way Is to refit the old sensor and leave be.
mount your new timer box near to the Light, but so the units light sensor is not affected by the light output, link between the two with a peice of 4 core flex
Then with the forums help do the connections within the light so as it runs via the new timer and the internal photocell is bypassed

Last edited:
Thanks Rocky, I did refit the old sensor so back to square one!

Where the light is located I'd rather not have wires running from it so feel I'll have to swap the full unit out for something else.

Do you happen to know where I could get a light with a built in timer sensor? Do they even exist?

Cheers!

Thanks mate but isn't that the same as what I already have?

Thanks mate but isn't that the same as what I already have?
It has a timer built in which will turn the lights OFF after a time so that they are not on all night. ( which is what I thought you were looking for )

Yes, it is what I want to do however. I originally thought that I could swap out an existing sensor with a timed version. That turned out to be not possible.

My understanding is that I would need to fit this to the existing light a distance away? (Is that the case) That wouldn't look good on the house.

So I wondered if there was an alternative light with this function built in?

Thanks,

Depending on the light output you may be able to butt it up right next to the light with no wire on show, but sometimes the light comes on and the photocell detects it and turns the thing off again, the only way to test is if you could temporary mount it without drilling the wall to see how it performs

Good man, I'll give it a go! Many thanks.

I really hope you'll be on hand when it comes to wiring.

Thanks and have a good weekend!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back