:eek:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
GEM's breakdown form asks for the following information:

Travelling from:
Travelling to:
Purpose of journey (Private/ Domestic/ Pleasure is NOT sufficient):

:eek:
Do you have the RECLAIM policy or the standard one?

It's someone I know, I'm not sure, but from what I understand I think they had to pay the rescue co., then claim it back.

It's someone I know, I'm not sure, but from what I understand I think they had to pay the rescue co., then claim it back.

That’s the reclaim policy then. The cheaper of the two they offer. Seems only reasonable if they are paying out on what is effectively an insurance claim between two third parties, that they ask for all details. I mean, what’s to stop you taking out a policy and then submitting a false bill by me for maybe £500 to tow you home to Scotland? If your friend had the other full policy, they would be dealing with the recovery agent direct so they would only need to ask them for details. In your friend case, they could have been travelling from home to, say, a hotel 300 miles away and needed towing home. They may want to check that your friend was actually staying at that hotel on the date claimed. Nothing sinister in that. If this claim was recent, when unnecessary travel is not allowed, they may want to check the reason to ensure it was necessary travel.

Last edited:
I understand about protecting against fraud.

I just think it's a bit much asking the purpose of the journey. That I feel is unneccessary and intrusive.

I understand about protecting against fraud. I just think it's a bit much asking the purpose of the journey. That I feel is unneccessary and intrusive.

Insurance companies can be a rule amongst themselves sometime. If, for example, you insured your car for social and domestic use only and NOT for commuting and you had an accident during rush hour, they are perfectly entitled to ask you the purpose and details of your journey to check that in was in line with the T&C's of that policy. Your friend needs to check the T&C's of their charge back breakdown insurance policy.

It wasn’t anything illegal or not in line with the policy was it? If he wants paying out he should just tell them the reason (that will fit with the T&C'c) and stop being a snowflake! ;)

Last edited:
Is this due to lockdown rules or is it a way to validate the journey is within the insured scope. (e.g business use)?

Is this due to lockdown rules or is it a way to validate the journey is within the insured scope. (e.g business use)?
Probably both and more - if there’s a way for an insurance company to get out of paying, they’ll take it! He should check his T&C's. No different from travel insurance probably. For example, if you are travelling against government advice or want to claim for an existing illness that you haven’t declared, you won’t be covered.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back