Can you beat the system on health care

Why is it that in Scotland the State pays all these costs.
If they can afford it why not in England.?
Aye weel , They dinnae have so may people in the country. And they are as canny as fook :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I happen to agree that if you are made a permanent resident of a nursing home and own a house which is no longer required, it should be sold to pay for your care.

If you were at home, you would be paying to live in it.

Why then expect the state to pay when you can no longer live at home?

I happen to agree that if you are made a permanent resident of a nursing home and own a house which is no longer required, it should be sold to pay for your care.

If you were at home, you would be paying to live in it.

Why then expect the state to pay when you can no longer live at home?
Nursing homes are extreme care,literally God's waiting rooms[and I say that with experience]care homes however alleviate childrens problems and give respite for elderly care which can be traumatic at times for someone you love and remember how they were,The government would now have us live as long as possible i.e smoking.drinking etc etc what for? what will you have forward to look forward to inyour dementia /altzheimers old age scenario. I find your comments insulting to the people who have paid their way and deserve sympathetic care

Some very good posts on this subject. As with the misunderstanding as to what prevails in Scotland I think that there is a lack of consistency with how inheritance is dealt with throughout the UK. Perhaps it is dependent upon the particular local authority. Somebody I know of who lives in North Wales was able to inherit his mother’s home in its entirety when she fell ill with Alzheimer’s and could no longer look after herself. Maybe for somebody this ill the nursing covered all of the costs involved.

Sponsored Links
I find your comments insulting to the people who have paid their way and deserve sympathetic care

I don't understand why you are insulted. Deserving sympathetic care has nothing to do with paying for it.

If you can you should. Your estate should not be viewed as an inheritance for anyone. If you need it while you're alive to live on, then so be it.

It is downright cheek to expect the taxpayer to support you living elsewhere, so that you can leave your estate to your kids, etc...

The government would now have us live as long as possible i.e smoking.drinking etc etc what for? what will you have forward to look forward to inyour dementia /altzheimers old age scenario. I find your comments insulting to the people who have paid their way and deserve sympathetic care
Dave I don't wanna worry ya mate but I think yours has set in!!! :D

My Dad signed over 400k worth of property/land to moi a few years back. It cost £600 to do the change over with the land registry!
Plus the muppets lost the original 100 year old deeds , so had to be issued with new ones.

I helped him purchase a new property which he then sold and made a tidy profit. He then purchased another property with the proceeds.

This time in his own name and lost it all when his relationship went sour with the bit@ch he was going out with at the time.
If he went into care shortly can my property be sold off?

He then met someone new and re-married you see and his new wife took the trouble to hire a solicitor and glean info from the land registry to see who actually owned said property and the dates when the signing took place.
Guess I might still loose the lot with the former scenario. :(

If I have £100,000 in cash, and need to go into a care home, wouldn't you expect me to pay for it?

Why should it be different if, instead of cash, my £100,000 is in gold bars, shares, stamps or a house?

I believe if it more than 6 years after the transfer then the local authority would probably not bother pursuing it for care fees

I would also struggle to believe that the new wife would have any claim on a property transferred by your dad before he married her - I am however not a lawyer!

If I have £100,000 in cash, and need to go into a care home, wouldn't you expect me to pay for it?

Why should it be different if, instead of cash, my £100,000 is in gold bars, shares, stamps or a house?

I agree that there should be some form of payment but I also sypathise with those who have scrimped all their lives to leave their kids something, only to have it all taken from them to pay for their care. And, those that have blown/wasted everything get it all for free.
It's not so much having to pay for their care, it's the sacrifices some have made throughout their lives so that they could leave something, to find out it's all been in vain.

O.K Blas I accept it may be kicking in, I meant to put the word 'not' in the context. To Securespark I apologise about being insulted by his comments but my scenario is this:
Father in law died last August from cancer
Mother in law who has had dementia prior to his death could'nt cope in any way shape or form and after 3 visits a day home care fell over ,bust her hip and has had to go into a care home. Yes it does have to be paid for but I remember my father in laws last comments and he was incensed, because he knew, that all he'd worked for all his life was going to be absorbed by the government to pay for his wifes care. His arguement was that why was there no scheme available to cater for aged needs .I'me not talking huge amounts by the way but an an average working mans pot of a small property and very little savings.Stivino's comments are very apt on this subject and hopefully in the very near future a fairer payments system can be introduced.What a horrible subject but it is life, or not?

They screw you every time. :mad:

From bitter experience... you pay NI and tax your whole working life, you pay into a pension scheme, then you croak a few months before retirement and what does your spouse get? A token amount towards funeral expenses... doesn't even pay for the coffin. :eek: No-one expects a state funeral, but to be honest I'd rather they didn't even offer it. It confirms the value of a person's life to the state, at a time when the state should keep their bl**dy nose out.

I don't believe the world owes me a living, but I do despise the fact that even when you die they still manage to tax you. Even on things that you bought, with tax added on top, from earnings that you've been taxed on, that your employer paid tax on when they earned it, that their customers paid VAT on when they bought it and so on.

What a horrible subject but it is life, or not?

Very true and had a very good reminder of it today.

Working on a new nursing home at the moment and when its completed the old one will be demolished.
There's a large glassed conservatory area where the inmates sit to take tea or look at the view. Seen one being spoon fed. They look like zombies from a distance.

"Once a man , twice a child".

You get a job when young and pay tax & NI on your earnings.
I always believed your NI went towards the up keep of the health service and tax paid for other things.
So, you pay tax on your earnings which you then have to use to buy things. You pay tax on what you buy. You take out insurance to pay for something that may happen to you, you pay a tax charge on it. You need to be treated by a dentist, you pay for it. You need glasses, you pay for them. You buy a house and depending on the cost you pay a tax on it. You buy shares to try and save for your pension but if you sell them you pay tax. You get old and need looking after you have to pay for it. As you don't have the cash you have to sell your home and your shares. Because you have invested wisely and made a profit you have to pay taxes. You live just long enough to have used any money you have from these sales to pay for your care when suddenly you shuffle off this mortal earth. Your children/family have nothing left with which to bury you but all is not in vain. The government will help you out.
They will give your relations £1200 pounds to put towards your funeral, which at the very least will cost £3.500 pounds for a straight forward cremation with no church service and 1 hearse!

Oh what a wonderful system we have in this country for the working man!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Back on site today.
Seen some of the inmates being strapped up with huge belts and hoisted out of their chairs on the end of a jib using what looked like an engine hoist.

Guess manual lifting is a thing of the past now.

Sponsored Links
Back