Capitals

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
If Netanyahu moves the Israeli embassy to Ashby de la Zouche, will that make it the capital of the UK?

What's going on?
Isn't the capital of a country where the government and head of state sit?

Sponsored Links
If Netanyahu moves the Israeli embassy to Ashby de la Zouche, will that make it the capital of the UK?

What's going on?
Isn't the capital of a country where the government and head of state sit?

Not if you have multiple capitals. Netherlands for one.

Sponsored Links
Because the UN will not support that position, as both Israel and the Palestinian state want it as their capital.

Israeli government have Jerusalem as their capital, UN does not recognise that due to amongst other thing it is in occupied territories, so foreign embassies are located in Tel Aviv, as with everything to do with Israel its complicated

Rather in the same way that if Germany had declared Paris to be the capital of Germany in 1940, some countries would have disagreed.
They may well have disagreed,

but if that is where the German Government sat, then Q.E.D.

Instead, in reverse, they moved the capital to Bonn - and then back to Berlin, depending on which territory they controlled.

It is relevant that in 1940, France had been invaded and occupied by a foreign power. Hence the parallel.

Yes, I realise that, but that's how countries expand.

Had the military superiority been the other way round, perhaps Tel Aviv would be the capital of Jordan.

And no doubt some other countries would be refusing to recognise it.

No doubt they would but that wouldn't alter the fact.

That the Government sits in Jerusalem makes it the capital.
I did not realise this which is why I was puzzled by Trump's move.
The fact that no one else 'recognises' this does not alter the fact.

If everyone stopped recognising London as the capital of the UK, would that mean it wasn't?

Sponsored Links
Back