Capping required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrician (Part-P Cert'd) reckons he's done the first fix part to now. So I can get things re-plastered and patched up. then he can put the 2nd fix fittings on. However, I found it strange that no capping has been put on, is this required?

Sponsored Links
No, its not necessary.

Capping used to be used regularly to prevent Zorro-like plasterers slicing the cables when browning/hardwalling bare brick work.

T+E cable is suitable for buring directly into plasterwork

Oh, I thought it was to do with Nail protection, so a nail isn't accidentally hammered through wires.

applause.gif

Oh sorry, thought you said clapping :LOL:

Sponsored Links
No, capping isn't strong enough to be considered 'mechanical protection', i think to do that, it has to be equivalent to 3mm of mild steel.

TTC :D

I always prefer to see steel capping over cable drops as it does provide some degree of protection against future idiots with nails or drills & if it’s not there I will usually put some up. It's also an urban myth that plasterers damage cables (not if they are any good anyways); a plasterer's trowel is a honed & delicate tool, they wouldn't risk damaging it by hacking at cables ;) .

Capping is fixed in place using nails, so it isn't going to provide any protection against them.

You'd have to have a pretty weedy drill for capping to stop it, or even to create noticeable resistance.

And as for nails, anyone who bangs those into walls deserves any misfortune which befalls him.

Capping is fixed in place using nails, so it isn't going to provide any protection against them.
So are you saying you actually bash your fixing nails through the steel capping :eek: that's an absolute recipe for nicking a cable sooner or later. I always nail down the outside so the nail head holds the capping in place not nail through the capping, totally safe & no way can you can nick the cable. ;)

You'd have to have a pretty weedy drill for capping to stop it, or even to create noticeable resistance.
The ordinary masonry drill bit used by most DIY's will give a very noticeable resistance when it hits steel, even thin steel cable capping; they are not designed to cut through steel, the cutting angles are all wrong. I did say "limited protection"; someone brandishing a decent hammer drill with enough intent & no thought will eventually go though capping but when you first hit it, the resistance you feel may just spark a warning!

Have to disagree with that, seen it with my own eyes
I forgot to add “ decent plasterer”; a plasterer who damages cables with a trowel is nothing but an animal. :LOL:

So are you saying you actually bash your fixing nails through the steel capping :eek: that's an absolute recipe for nicking a cable sooner or later. I always nail down the outside so the nail head holds the capping in place not nail through the capping, totally safe & no way can you can nick the cable. ;)

I think his point is that it's easy to hammer a nail through the fixing edges of the capping so it would be just as easy to nail through the body when the capping has been plastered over.

someone brandishing a decent hammer drill with enough intent & no thought will eventually go though capping but when you first hit it, the resistance you feel may just spark a warning!

We aren't talking about and instructed or competent person here.
We are talking a DIYer with a hammer drill.
If the drill doesn't go in he(she) just leans on it until it goes in - thru the capping and thru the cable.
I know
I've seen the results
It's not pretty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back