Car pics taken in supermarket carparks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

Why do people who are selling their cars take pics at suprmarket carparks?

Sponsored Links
To have some privacy, and not having to pay for parking. Being a drop in an ocean of people going about their business means it won't look suspicious.

Last year I saw a guy taking pics of car outside of toolstation. So, I asked: illegal parking? He didn't want to answer. So, I explained I go there often and didn't want to get caught with a fine. So, he said he was only taking pictures of his car. I didn't know why at the time, nor did I wanted to press him. Now I know, thanks to your thread.

The normal reason given is that so nobody can identify the exact location of the car to stop any potential theft

The cynical reason is to avoid the taxman or any "comeback issues" for traders who pretend not to be traders

Sponsored Links
Can't beat a nice for sale snap outside your council house framed by a mattress and with that massive oil leak stain on the block paving in full view.

I used to nip mine up to the local stately home for the photoshoot when flogging them - one prospective buyer rang me and said "I can't find your house, I'm on a street full of semi's"

The normal reason given is that so nobody can identify the exact location of the car to stop any potential theft

The cynical reason is to avoid the taxman or any "comeback issues" for traders who pretend not to be traders
Sometimes they photo a strangers car , you only get exterior pics then they scam buyers asking for a small deposit to secure the car .(£200-300)
Easy money .
Facebook marketplace is full of them 2019 cars going for £3000.
Some sellers have a dozen or more cars for sale at these prices.

Facebook marketplace is a disgrace, I know it'd a case of buyer beware but they (not unreasonably) trust the brand.

I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and seen a few turn up outside and take pictures of cars just to sell. The backdrop is a field.
I took my van to a shop carpark to take pictures when I sold it. Here is the picture.

1000005430.jpg

Just don't want neighbours houses or house numbers or even the road online. I can spot roads and areas by the pictures and could go look at a car without contacting seller. That's a bit creepy and not the thing to do, which is why people take pictures away from home or the area.

All,

Why do people who are selling their cars take pics at suprmarket carparks?
I wouldn’t use a supermarket carpark

I have used a local green, so the background has grass in the background

Depends which supermarket it is. If it's Waitrose they may be in with a chance. Aldi or somewhere like B&M Bargains and they're poss a cheapskate who will have thrashed the car without a thought to any kind of servicing. :)

Obviously if they want to do the deal in a car park somewhere, it's a definite no.

Invariably rough neighbourhoods/houses = rough owners = rough cars.

Last edited:
Depends which supermarket it is. If it's Waitrose they may be in with a chance.
So, if they take a pic outside Harrods while their car is stuck in traffic, they will get an instant sale?

I think people are reading too much into it. The primary reason is for privacy, regardless of the neighbourhood.

Why do people park their cars at a railway station and have a picnic next to their car?DSC_8277.JPG DSC_8278.JPG I would assume they are proud of their cars and want to show them off? I tend to take photos of my car or bike to show I was there, IMG-20210717-WA0002.jpg not a picture post card but one showing I was there without showing myself in photo.

A green background always works best...

Attachments

• 20210802_132106.jpg
    20210802_132106.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
Back