Car trailer parked on my private road - how to get it removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a car trailer parked on my private road. It is an access road to several properties so by law I have to keep it clear (i.e. I cant park my car in the middle of it).

However somebody has chained their car trailer at the turning circle area. I think it must be one of the neighbours. How do I go about getting it removed??.. I think it would be sensible to talk to the neighbours first and find out of it belongs to them.

What if they refuse? I have just bought this house and the predecessor was an old lady.. so I imagine that guy has had it parked there for ages

Thanks

boolie

Sponsored Links
How many properties are on this lane?

I would put letters through all the doors explaining your position that you have to keep the lane clear by law.

Ask that the trailer is removed within the next 24 hours.

Excluding mine there are 6 - what if it doesn't get removed?

Sponsored Links
How does everyone else turn round or is it just you that’s affected? A picture would help.

If it's someone who has lived there for quite a time, and the other neighbours are fine with it, then 'complaining' about it won't exactly make you popular.
If it makes things difficult for you to turn your vehicle around then you have 2 options.
1/ Reverse your vehicle in when you come home, (hence drive straight out when leaving).
2/ Speak to the owner in an amicable manner to see if it can be re-positioned somewhere else where everyone is happy. Obviously if the 'chat' begins to get 'heated' it may make it uncomfortable for some of the residents to continue to live there. You have to bear in mind, they may be a close community and will often close ranks against a new comer.

You say its your private road, but I suspect its shared with the other properties? Its likely that everyone enjoys an easement to pass over the land, but that easement does not extend to parking. In this case while nobody has the right to park on the road, no single owner has the right to enforce any no parking rule as they are not in exclusive possession of the land and therefore cannot enforce trespassing.

If however it is your land and the neighbours enjoy an easement then you can ask the person to move it or seek damages for trespass.

Since the property transaction will be fresh, you should have all the paperwork to know the legal ownership of the land.

The other option is to agree with the other neighbours to install physical barriers to prevent parking there.

If the trailer is causing an obstruction preventing access, then you can take action against the owner.

my thoughts

are you worrying because the paperwork says so or is there an actual issue ??
iff you ignore the paperwork will the problem fade into the background or is there an actual problem that needs sorting ??
if the problem is not physical then just leave it till an actual problem arises, in the meantime try and see how the ground lies by casual conversation
remember there are many forms off "law" it just means its "in statute"[ may be wrong term]the consequences in this instance would be fully a civil mater as its on private land so no criminal consequences unless you do something criminal

in other words zero chance off any action against you unless something actally causes a problem and that assumes your understanding off the full responsibility being on your shoulders is correct
but purly my oppinion not based on any legal background

there is an actual issue, it makes it difficult for me to get out (although I can, just a bit awkward)

By the way the road isn't a straight line, it has a 90 degree bend and and the turning area is at the bend. I own the road - I have the Land Registry deeds for it. Legally I cant block it either (I have to keep it clear for access rights to neighbours). My house is right at the end of the road.

The more serious problem is for bigger vehicles, eg vans. I am having some work done so contractors need easy access. It's particularly difficult for them to get out due to his trailer taking up crucial turning space.

How does everyone else turn round or is it just you that’s affected? A picture would help.
Only two of the other neighbours bring their cars into their 'garden'/garage. One doesn't have to negotiate the bend because of their house position, the other has a small car (although they would find turning much easier if the trailer wasnt there!)

Having said that, any work van would have difficulty getting past his trailer - so if any trades people are required then three houses would be affected

Wouldn't the easiest thing be to ask all the neighbours until you find the owner of the trailer and then just ask them to move it.

No need for anything more unless they refuse to move it

OK I just did that.. asked one of the neighbours anyway (the guy in the know!)

So it turns out that it belongs to an elderly couple.. the guys that have a garage and are unaffected by the turning circle... they just drive straight in.

I know them (kind of). They are a lovely old couple who sent us a christmas card. The old lady has cancer too and is undergoing chemotherapy. She's lost all her hair.

A bit awkward now, not gonna post letters. What would you do?? I'm not sure why he doesnt store it in his own garage.

When I say old they are retired, easily 60's maybe even 70's. I dont think they have any kids either

Last edited:
Wouldn't the easiest thing be to ask all the neighbours until you find the owner of the trailer and then just ask them to move it.

No need for anything more unless they refuse to move it
well that's what I was planning.. but I wanted a 'move it or else ...' before I spoke to them in my back pocket. I wanted to know what the or else consequence would be. i.e. if they refuse what could I do about it?

although things are slightly more complicated (see my last post)

Sponsored Links
Back