Car trailer parked on my private road - how to get it removed

Get to know your neighbours and raise at an early stage, Letters have their place but can can be overly formal or even passive aggressive.

Blup

Sponsored Links
If you cannot find who the owner is then add another padlock to the chain with a note saying that you have the key. That way the owner will have to make himself ( or herself ) known to you when they want to use the trailer.

Sponsored Links
I think, if you're going to raise it with them at all, you need to get the point across that it's causing challenges with maneuvering vehicles. I agree with others who say best to approach it in a nicey nicey way.

Why do you need to mention the challenges it creates? Cause if you don't, and if you just do something like help them sell it, you might find it replaced x weeks later by their son's/daughter's caravan ;)

Then you're back to square one.

You need to find that delicate point somewhere between "dick" and "pushover". Something that's a lot easier to suggest than to actually do.

I just wanted to reassure you that, despite a few barbed comments on this thread, I don't think you're being a dick asking for it to be moved. I like the previous idea of accidentally getting into a chat with them and offering to flog it for them.

I've seen lots of dead-end streets where some a-hole decides that the turning area is their parking area. It's utterly selfish.

If you actually own the land then it seems pretty clear cut.

I gather it is a Private Road, all the residents have a say in matters concerning the road and contribute to its upkeep .

Not necessarily true.

In this case it appears that the land is owned by the OP and the other residents have an easement, probably in exchange for a contribution to the maintenance. With private roads, its often owned by a resident controlled management company - enforcing trespass in this case is almost impossible (as are parking restrictions). Where the land is owned by one house, its much easier to enforce. It also becomes more necessary to do so.

I would imaging that the previous owner of your property either had no objection or agreed to the trailer being parked there. One would hope that the (presumed, by you) owners are aware that you own the road and they only have right of access to their properties along it.

So what to do about it? Contact your local police for advice - difficult to get a simple answer as it's a private road but I'd expect the same rules as a public road to apply. As you have recently been advised by the Fire Brigade that they have concern over access restrictions caused by the trailer you should ask them move it on access grounds as recommended by the F&RB. Obviously, careful, sympathetic wording including they only have right of access is required.

If they deny knowledge of the trailer and further enquiries with the neighbours don't discover the true owners then I'd add your own chain and padlock with a note saying you have the key.

One place I worked the building was at the end of a private road, as with 'Boolie' owned by my then employers. The company had previously owned all the land until sold for development. Along the road was 6 private houses all with access but no rights over the private road. Mostly all was sweetness from the house owners to my employer until one house was sold; the newcomers wife started objecting to the company vans driving up to the building and into the parking area. Rather than approach my employers thoughtfully they had a letter sent demanding that the company made other arrangements for access to the building.
My employers response was quick and simple - my employer was quite happy to erect a 1.8mtr fence along the access road and put gates at the public highway end of the access road and then houses could make their own arrangements to access their houses.

There is a car trailer parked on my private road. It is an access road to several properties so by law I have to keep it clear (i.e. I cant park my car in the middle of it).

However somebody has chained their car trailer at the turning circle area. I think it must be one of the neighbours. How do I go about getting it removed??.. I think it would be sensible to talk to the neighbours first and find out of it belongs to them.

What if they refuse? I have just bought this house and the predecessor was an old lady.. so I imagine that guy has had it parked there for ages

Thanks

boolie
I don't want to be rude, but did you really come on here for confirmation that you should just talk nicely to your neighbour and politely ask him to move the trailer as its making your access difficult? He might just say yes.....

I don't want to be rude, but did you really come on here for confirmation that you should just talk nicely to your neighbour and politely ask him to move the trailer as its making your access difficult? He might just say yes.....
It is a discussion forum after all, no problem asking your peers what they would do.

It is a discussion forum after all, no problem asking your peers what they would do.
we need to remember oldies [i am 69] have a different mind set a different way off communicating mostly they will never deal with officialdom off any sort so what seems like ott kid gloves softly softly is the only way to go as equilibrium and what we know is security change is a word left behind perhaps 40 years ago :giggle:
always do freindly 'softly softly to get the best from the less sophisticated less complicated beings we are ;)

we need to remember oldies [i am 69] have a different mind set a different way off communicating mostly they will never deal with officialdom off any sort so what seems like ott kid gloves softly softly is the only way to go as equilibrium and what we know is security change is a word left behind perhaps 40 years ago :giggle:
always do freindly 'softly softly to get the best from the less sophisticated less complicated beings we are ;)
I don't answer my kids text messages.
"Hi daddy, how you doing?"
Call me and you'll find out!
They don't text me anymore, unless I don't answer their call and they get worried...

"Dad, answer the phone!!!"

Same for my friends, they know I like human interaction, so if they want to talk to me usually they come to see me in person.
I try to explain the importance of this to the younger, socially inept generation.

Sponsored Links
Back