Car warranties

Receipts and bogus service book stamps may be refuted by car manufacturers but replacement parts fitted to the car, manufactured in the same OE factory that supplied the car production line, can't be refuted by warranties.

If its on the car, the work was done!!

I suppose its down to the 'bought new' terms and conditions of warranty service, provided of course, they don't infringe consumer law.

Sponsored Links
A dated receipt for parts for a particular vehicle will carry a bit more weight than a service book stamped by a mate for a few ££'s. Would that mate be able to provide a job card/service/parts receipt in the event of a major warranty claim?
Paperwork existed for the parts. The work was done. When the last car was chopped in for a Volvo, the dealers commented on what good condition it was in. My cars are serviced and maintained to a very high standard. No bodging here. Anyhow now I'm into high value cars I've had it garage serviced for the first time in my life.

Funnily enough, I’ve had the last two services on our Evoque done at a main dealers but only because it was included as part of the deal as well as a two year used approved warranty. That would have been a £400 and a £500 service. Last service was in October last year when the warranty expired. I declined to take up the option of an extra years warranty at £960. So far so good but I’ll be servicing it myself this October and for a major service with all OE filters - fuel, air, oil and cabin plus quality oil it’ll only cost me about £120.

For used warranties, it’s an insurance product so they CAN insist on manufacturer servicing.

Last edited:
"I believe the laws/rules are different in the USA, and home servicing seems to be allowed, proveable by keeping receipts. I don't see why the rules should be different over here"

What's this about the USA, I haven't seen any mention of it ?
in this thread

If I were a manufacturer, I wouldn't be accepting any home- servicing crap . How the hell can you say if someone knows what a lb-ft is, let alone has a tool to measure it.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone use lbs/ft these days? Anyway, you don’t measure lbs/ft, you tighten to it.

Just as well you’re not a manufacturer then because under EU block exemption rules you’d have to accept it whether you liked it or not.

Last edited:
Does anyone use lbs/ft these days? Anyway, you don’t measure lbs/ft, you tighten to it.

Just as well you’re not a manufacturer then because under EU block exemption rules you’d have to accept it whether you liked it or not.

Can you give a link to justify this ,

No. I've been in the motor trade for 45 years. Find it out for yourself.

Good man. At least you’re learning. Glad you also believed me when I answered your question a while ago when you asked how to jump start a car. You’re welcome. ;)

now I'm into high value cars

The other week you accused @JohnW2 of 'bragging' about his "large house" with a three phase electrical supply.

I have exclusively bought K&N air filters since 1998, so put me on the bragging list with yourself and John. :p:eek:

(It's meant as tongue in cheek Dave, but I hope you see my point!) (y)

Last edited:
I always add can of STP to my £5.95 gallon of oil and I never bother with Gun Gum - I use a proper exhaust repair bandage.

"I believe the laws/rules are different in the USA, and home servicing seems to be allowed, proveable by keeping receipts. I don't see why the rules should be different over here"

What's this about the USA, I haven't seen any mention of it ?
in this thread

If I were a manufacturer, I wouldn't be accepting any home- servicing crap . How the hell can you say if someone knows what a lb-ft is, let alone has a tool to measure it.

Sorry for bringing the USA into the discussion, but I personally believe that someone competent enough to service their own car should be able to do so, and keep it's warranty intact - just like it seems you can in the USA (and possibly here too, according to info earlier in this thread). Lots of people are competent enough to complete basic servicing, and certainly within the first few years of a car's life when it hardly needs anything more than an oil change anyway.

Here's a link to the Federal Trade Commission where it states
"An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work"

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Receipts and bogus service book stamps may be refuted by car manufacturers but replacement parts fitted to the car, manufactured in the same OE factory that supplied the car production line, can't be refuted by warranties.

If its on the car, the work was done!!

You have no idea where the part was made, nor what standards it was made to, even if it is made by the same o.e. supplier, which you are also unlikely to be able to confirm as it is usual for manufacturers to require completely neutral parts except for an i.d. coding that they specify.

I think if I saw a new part fitted under warranty, Id be happy with it - but of course thats not possible with an oil filter if its a cartridge type or even with the oil thats been poured into the engine.....we dont know what it is, but we do hope its the correct stuff.
Im not recommending that people service their vehicles from new, but its a risk that Im prepared to take...By the time of the first oil change Ill know what oil consumption to expect, etc.
All of my warranty issues have been electrical, repaired with no questions asked whatsoever.
John (mointainwalking in Switzerland :cool: and having a ball - albeit rather crippled this evening!):)

Sponsored Links
Back