Cat wee on carpets.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 20 yr old cat has recently decided to stop going out to use the toilet and is weeing and pooing on the carpet :evil:

As you can appreciate, the smell is not nice! :eek:

Anybody got any tips on how to remove the smell of urine out of carpet. I have tried scrubbing with carpet cleaner, Zflora and other cleaning agents but the smell remains.

Any help will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Bahco,

Might be an idea to take your cat to the vet for a check over.

My cat did this at the age of 22 and has a water infection.

my cat started doing that at 19, never made 20. You cannot get cat pee smell out of anything, we ended up replacing the carpet.

Sponsored Links
bleach. only works with white carpets though . . . . if it works at all

If I came on here asking advice on how do I paint over a mouldy wall, I would expect answers like "you need to find and eradicate the source of the problem or it will keep coming back"

Just kidding - I know some people love their moggies

:D :D :D

crafty1289 said:

Nah, you shouldn't use bleach.
My mate breeds pedigree cats and told me that bleach is the wrong product to use when cleaning up cat pee (something about the cats being attracted back to the bleach smel). He tells the people who buy his cats to clean any wee stains with washing powder dissolved in hot water.

well, I won't tell you the same feedback I got for my little dilemma, "give it a wiggle and pull it out". But we have a product here in the States that really is called "urine gone" and it works--spray it on and no rubbing or scrubbing--enzymes "eat" the stain. And it works all the way through to the backing--if you can't get that, give it a wiggle and pull it out.

I believe elephant wee masks the smell of cat wee.

Bahco:

The first thing you should do is get a small black light to locate exactly where the pet stains are.

Most people are unaware of it, but by the time urine starts to smell, it will also fluoresce under ultraviolet light, so you can use a cheap counterfeit bill detector to locate urine stains.

And, that's no bunk either. A very well respected name in the janitorial service sector of the economy is Bane-Clene, and they make a $100 unit specifically for carpet cleaning contractors to locate pet urine stains.

http://www.baneclene.com/catalog/ultra_violet_light.html

But, if you phone around to any of the places listed under "Janitorial Equipment & Supplies" in your phone book you should be able to pick up a professional quality black light for less than that.

Also, your best bet is to phone around to the local carpet cleaning services in your area and ask which brand of carpet cleaning chemicals they like best. They will be buying these chemicals from one of the places listed under "Janitorial Equipment & Supplies" in your phone book. Here in North America it's Ramsey and ChemSpec, but I don't know if those brands are available in Britain. If you can get some concensus on which brand of carpet cleaning chemicals most of the carpet cleaning services in your area like the most, find out which of the Janitorial Supply outlets sell that brand, and buy your cleaning products there.

Now, every place that sells janitorial supplies will also sell direct to the public because none of them will sell to retailers who in turn sell to the public, so there's no one to bark at them for stealing their retail business. The closest thing to a janitorial supply retailer would be a hardware store or grocery store, and they just sell products made for the retail consumer market. Most janitorial supply stores sell to hospitals, school boards, bingo halls, community centers, your local cleaning contractors and other businesses who employ a cleaning crew, but none of them turn around and sell those products to the public, so none of them are gonna get mad if the janitorial supply place sells to you.

The advantage of buying from a Janitorial Supply store that sells to the carpet cleaning professionals in your area is that the staff at that store will also be very knowledgeable about cleaning carpets, and on how best to use the chemicals they sell. That's because they deal with professionals doing this kind of word every day. And, if you buy their chemicals from them, then they'll typically toss in all the technical advice you want or need to do a good job free of charge.

If you don't get any concensus of opinion on who sells good carpet cleaning products in your area, then in the UK, Ring 01293-437511 for Spurgeon, who are Bane-Clene's distributor in Europe. Bane-Clene is a well respected name, and you can't go too far wrong with their products either.

The cleaners you will be buying will be made for professional who typically will have carpet cleaning equipment. However, you can use an inexpensive shop style wet/dry vaccuum cleaner as a carpet shampooer. Just use a spray bottle (or whatever) to apply the cleaner to the stain, and press the end of the suction hose of the wet/dry vaccuum cleaner directly down on the carpet pile to pull out the soiled cleaner. You can't shampoo a whole carpet with a wet/dry vaccuum cleaner, but you can certainly remove stains on a carpet with one.

This web page outlines the products Bane-Clene sells for cleaning pet odors from carpets, and how to use them:

http://www.baneclene.com/articles/pet-odors.html

but, any other company's line of products should also work well for you, so don't be afraid to go with the cleaners that most of the carpet cleaning professionals in your area like most.

In fact, as a landlord I find that MOST of the work I do is cleaning in one form or another, and a good source of reliable information on cleaning can be found here:

http://www.cleanfax.com/index.asp

Cleanfax is the online web site of the Cleaning Management Institute which is a professional society dedicated to the education, training and advancement of the janitorial service sector. The Cleanfax web site seems to be focused a bit more on carpet cleaning than other kinds of cleaning, but I think that might be because there are more specialized kinds of equipment and chemicals for cleaning carpets and upholstery than there are for other kinds of cleaning. Also, there are a lot more training programs for professionals in the carpet cleaning business than in other cleaning businesses.

UPDATE

As Masona advised I took the cat to the vet who couldn't find anything wrong apart from eyesight is very dim which probably explains reluctance to go out.

Has put her on some antibiotics anyway and I am now £47 lighter :(

The vet has advised using NON BIOLOGICAL WASHING POWDER which I have tried and HAS made a difference. I will redo tomorrow.

Thanks to all. :D

Bahco
Im Glad to hear your Puss is ok ... an as for the money spent ... it is money WELL SPENT to KNOW YOUR CAT/FAMILY MEMBER is OK ,SURELY ...?

Sponsored Links
Back