Ceiling light - how to connect wires (photos)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm struggling to figure out how to replace the ceiling light.
The bottom photo is a bit blurry but you can see how they're connected currently. The top photo (with brown and blue cables only) is the new light.
I'd rather avoid the trial-and-error route, so thought I'd ask here.
Should I connect the red wire to the other side of the terminal connected to brown wires and black to the one connected to blue wires?
The ceiling cable also has the yellow/green wire (earth) which is not connected to anything. What do I do with that one?

Any help would be appreciated.

New light.jpg
Old light.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your old brown and blue are the wrong way round.

Connect the new browns to the red and the new blues to the black.

Sponsored Links

The bottom photo is a bit blurry but you can see how they're connected currently. The top photo (with brown and blue cables only) is the new light.
Should I connect the red wire to the other side of the terminal connected to brown wires and black to the one connected to blue wires?
The ceiling cable also has the yellow/green wire (earth) which is not connected to anything. What do I do with that one?

View attachment 309048View attachment 309049

View attachment 309048View attachment 309049
does not have an earth wire so none to connect. If it makes you feel better you can connect the earth wire to the metal tab but first you need to create a bayonet type fitting on it.

does not have an earth wire so none to connect. If it makes you feel better you can connect the earth wire to the metal tab but first you need to create a bayonet type fitting on it.
I don't follow, the fitting is metal it needs earthing.

I don't follow, the fitting is metal it needs earthing.
why does it? it will be safe enough without it...hundreds of thousands of lights right now working perfectly without an earth.

why does it? it will be safe enough without it...hundreds of thousands of lights right now working perfectly without an earth.
Because if one of the wires come out of the connector block and touch the metal case it will become live. User touches the metal case and he/she becomes live. It definitely isn't "safe enough" without an earth, it could kill.

why does it?
...just to add, there are double insulated metal light fittings that don't require an earth - this is not one of them; the internal cabling is not double insulated, the metal rose will often have an insulating plastic lining, and the connection block can be in its own small enclosure.

That's what I thought, but then why is it working fine? I'd expect it to blow up the fuse if it was the wrong way around?
I think the middle connector of the block of three should be connected to a metal tab on the base and then the earth wire to the middle block.
I intend to connect the earth wire directly to that tab, without going through the middle block. Should have the same effect, right?

That's what I thought, but then why is it working fine? I'd expect it to blow up the fuse if it was the wrong way around?

I intend to connect the earth wire directly to that tab, without going through the middle block. Should have the same effect, right?
Use the terminal block provided,that's what it's for.
The previous pendant was not polarity sensitive ,that's why it worked fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back