ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all i changed the ceiling light yesterday the old fixture had alive and earth connections but also had 2 black wires i assume the are neuteral wires, the new fitting only has a connection for 1 of these black wires can i connect the 2 together,

Sponsored Links
Were they connected together in the old light?

Or is one a neutral and the other the live from the switch?

Were they connected together in the old light?

Or is one a neutral and the other the live from the switch?

The old fitting had 4 points of connection so the 2 black wires where not together the new 1 has only 2 connection for for live and one for neutral.

Sponsored Links
I have to say that it's a bit worrying that you wondered even briefly if you could connect 2 wires together that weren't connected together before.

One of those blacks is a live, not a neutral. I hope you made a note of which was which - if not you're now going to need a multimeter to identify them. Get it wrong and you'll create a short circuit which will blow the fuse/trip the MCB and quite possibly wreck the switch.

This shows you how lighting circuits work: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting-circuit-layouts

This shows you how to connect your new light: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:rose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back