Ceiling Lights Illuminating Sequentially? How?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there,

Im designing the electrical layout for my self-build and I would like to know how I would wire the following:

For example:

In a corridoor with several ceiling lights, when you switch to on they all illuminate together.

The effect im looking for is to switch to on and the ceiling lights illuminate one after another sequentially down the corridoor with a slight delay between light fittings.

Is there something i can wire between fittings to cause this slight delay in the power reaching the next fitting and so on??

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Jon

Sponsored Links
Wow, that was a quick responce cheers.

Im not keeping the house for long, so i was going to go automated when i finally settle somewhere. So a cheap simple solution would be best please. Its really just as a bit of a feature.

Please tell me more about the first option. You may have to explain as though im a 6 year old as im not a sparky :)

I'm curious, why do you want them to light sequentially?

Sponsored Links
Why?

Because it will look awesome. Something different, nice feature.

Why have them all illuminating at once? Bit boring dont you think?

Please tell me more about the first option.
You need to learn about 555 timer chips - ths would be a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

You can get designs for timer circuits using the 555, or kits from hobby suppliers, or (probably?) ready made timers, but dunno how cost effective they'd be.

Obviously TTL outputs can't control lamps directly, which is why you'd need to use contactors.

If you're starting from scratch learning about all these things, then integrating into your house electrics is not a good first project...

You may have to explain as though im a 6 year old as im not a sparky :)
You need to consider safe isolation, segregation of different band circuits, protection for buried cables, an override function to allow normal circuit tests to be carried out....

Just to add to Breezer's post, if you do decide to build something yourself then it may be easier to use a 4017 counter and single 555 timer, then an SCR/thyristor on each output of the counter. This will be a lower component count as it would only take one 555, one 4017 plus one thryristor per output to achieve the desired affect.

Contactors would be a very inelegant solution, far too klunky for my liking, much better to use optoisolated triacs. These will provide absolutely silent switching and there's no moving parts involved. An alternative is an SSR (solid state relay) but these are more expensive and are essentially a triac and isolator in a single package anyway.

Contactors do make it easy to provide a manual override for functional testing, parity testing, continuity testing and fault loop measurements. Bear in mind that you need to be able to operate the switches while the actual lighting circuit is dead...

And the regs have things to say about semiconductor devices for switching & isolation, but I can't remember what...

If the control circuit and everything beyond were wired in place of a traditional fitting then control and single pole isolation can be provided by the light switch as normal. This isn't all too far different from a semiconductor based dimmer.

And how do you measure R1+R2 at the luminaire if you've got dimmer switches?

How would you measure it at each of a series of luminaires where the switch on the wall controls not the light directly but an array of semiconductor switches?

the 555 timer IC is all very well in theory but in use not so. unless you have a spike surpessor they may not start at the right time. i have used them for "little gadgets" on their own they are fine, but connect them to something else they can become unstable.

Also you have to design (or pinch) the circuit diagram then make multiples of them and make them all work reliably.

I suggest something like a PLC (you wil have to google for it)
these have inbuilt relays (very quiet in operation) can be understood by any electrcian once installed, reliable dont cost THAT much and can do whatever you want, since you have to programme it.
You could even programme i so the sequnce starts from the end that was switched on

jonbra, i should also point out since you said
jonbra said:
Im not keeping the house for long
will it not be a waste of time money and effort? since you think they will "awesome" no one else will.

novel i agree, but surley it will put most if not all prospective house buyers off, on the same token when selling a house it should be clean, tidy and painted magnolia, since its a neutral colour. lights in a coridor coming on sequntaully............hmmmmmmm

Have a look at Siemens Logo modules, these are basically a small PLC with a varying number of inputs and outputs depending on which model you buy.
You could even program it to put the lights out sequentially too!

To take the home automation route (I always do!)
Check out my lights:
www.yourmissus.com/lighting/

This set up would do exactly what you want - and lots more

Hope it's of some help, and not just me showing off my fancy lights! :LOL:

I tend to agree with Mr Sheds though, contactors or relays switched using some kind of timer is probably your best bet.
-Dan

:idea:

i seem to recall some on once asked about a light coming on slowly, som one mosted a link to a ready made module that did this, a bunch of them would be better, bud i don recall the post :oops: and have no idea which would be cheaper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back