Cenral heating boiler -- SERVICE. Should cleaning be included?

Hi wildcat,
No I've never asked them to do anything specifically in a service, I just assumed -- wrongly clearly -- that a service includes cleaning.
I've not actually been there when the servicing has been carried out. So I don't know what's inside the combustion chamber in terms of dirt and dust. Maybe it has been cleaned or maybe it hasn't. But I do know from the person who was present when it was serviced, that the wiring is covered in dust, which was left there. Hence a week or so ago searching for answers about if cleaning is included or should be included in a service, I found a picture of a boiler that had been serviced, but had what looks to me like staw, or what I described as the remains of a birds nest inside the combustion chamber after it was serviced. I've been trying to find the same website again but I can't remember what I clicked on, and my search history doesn't go back far enough to click on it again. I'll keep looking. But I remember typing in something like boiler service cleaning or something like that. Anyway, that's why I asked if that kind of dirt/dust should be cleaned out and why. To my mind, admittedly non expert, I would think it should be cleaned out, in just the same way that my old gas fire was always cleaned out.

Yes that's a good point about car service John Dv2. They do for the most part define what you get for a service, and you get to choose from a menu of items in some cases. I think it's probably a bad idea to have a minimal car service, but at least you can choose. My thinking about bolier service is I suppose based on safety as much as making sure it keeps working properly. I just assumed there was a minimum included in a boiler service, and that minimum would include cleaning, because not only can dirt affect it working, but maybe a safety issue too. And of course because the service manual says 7 items should be cleaned.

And too, because I had expectations, perhaps wrongly, of what was included, I feel that I may have been paying for something I haven't been getting, -- even if I am wrong to think that.

Sponsored Links
Expecting it to be cleaned internally, and to the manufacturers instructions though, seems entirely sensible, reasonable, and desirable.
The manual for your boiler states:

The extent of the service required by the appliance is determined by the operating condition of the appliance when tested by fully qualified engineers.

So any of the tasks listed later on need to be done only if the engineer thinks it is necessary. It comes under the heading of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

A lot of car "servicing" is basically inspection to see if something needs replacing, e.g brake pads.

In the days when people compare mainly based on price, the market for minimal servicing grows. If people start demanding detailed servicing, the market will grow. For example compare the main dealer service on your car with the Kwik fit basic service with oil change only.
Indeed, but from one you'll come out with all new shock absorbers, and a set of tyres :unsure:

"The extent of the service required by the appliance is determined by the operating condition of the appliance when tested by fully qualified engineers."

Hi D hailsham,
Yes I guess that sums it all up then. The whole thing is a grey area. Even that part " -- when tested by fully qualified engineers."

What constitutes a "fully qualified engineer", as compared to a gas safe registered engineer? Those titles themselves, technician and engineer, don't appear to mean what they used to, and can apply to someone who has a done a course over a few weeks, or someone who has studied for years and obtained formal qualifications.

I'm just a consumer in all this. Knowing for certain how much to pay, and what exactly you get when you do pay for a boiler service, is at best unclear.

In other consumer circumstances, you can be guided by consumer protection and descriptions of products and services. But boiler servicing seems to be legitimately open to interpretation. Even at the point AFTER you have paid, if it's up to the 'engineer' on the day, to decide what he is actually going to do in the service.

And just to add. Again, perhaps based on my age, I do not consider an inspection to be the same as a service. To me, an inspection could lead to a service if the inspection finds that some parts need servicing. You could simply proceed directly to a service, but as hinted at earlier, you may then have parts changed that did not need changing. But merely 'inspecting', aka 'looking closely at something', doesn't in my way of thinking, constitute a a service.

But hey ho. I guess I know all I need to know now.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
the wiring is covered in dust, which was left there.

Dust does absolutely no harm to wires.

On the other hand, poking wires with a brush or hoover could dislodge a connection.

Consider this scenario: your "service engineer" cleans the inside of your boiler to make it look "good as new" and in the process breaks the circuit board. He then charges you £x00 to replace it. "It could have broken any time gov, you're lucky it went when I was here." Would you be happy?

"If it's not broken, don't fix it" is often a useful rule of thumb.

Basically they do fak all, 1st couple of years they favour just sticking their probes in the flu, and cleaning the condensate trap, after that they may or may not delv into your conbustion chamber (if they do be prepeared for bent/broken fins, cig dimps and old holbourn wrappers left in there). your better off saving the money you would spend per year and put in a kitty for when your boiler does break down.
O.....they may even check the CH filter if ya lucky..but expect to pay extra if they have to top up the water..

If you look in your manual under servicing it will give a detailed list of instructions for servicing and what is required when

It's this simple ........combustion analysis will confirm if the boiler is performing properly, heat input checked, a careful visual inspection may show up any possible areas that may be near failing.

Any little bits of debris vacuumed from the combustion chamber and cleaning out the condensate trap.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, I don't disturb components if they don't need to be disturbed.

Inhibitor added to the heating system.

Dust on wires dirt any where or brick dust ......forget it. If it's outside the combustion chamber it doesn't matter.

Don't forget a service doesn't not preclude it from breaking down two days later !!!

Worcester ? Notorious for leaking !

I forgot to say it's made by worcester. It's a 350 RSF Combination boiler.

:idea: your appliance is at least 20 years old and without correct periodic inspection it would have been dead & buried many years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back