Central Heating Problem, Motorised Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Our central heating system isn't working, the boiler and pump are working fine and there's hot water but the radiators are cold. We had a boiler engineer out and he reckons that it's the motorised valve that's not working. The thing is is that he can't find it anywhere. so could anyone suggest where it might be. He thinks it's under the floor boards in the bedroom but we might end up taking up the floorboards to no avail. Is there any way that we could locate it first time without making too much damage?

Sponsored Links
If you know where the pump is the zone valves are usually near it. If you dont know where the pump is try to listen for it, it could be under the floor but can usually be heard and there should be an access hatch for it

If there's a MZV then it must be connected to the heating circuit and to an electrical supply via the room thermostat. The point where these two things converge is where you'll find it.

there is an access hatch but it's not there. whoeverinstalled it has put it somewhere and my guess is a future tenant has boarded it over. If it's not under the hatch any guesses where the next best place would be.
The boiler and pump is just outside under the window, the pipes come into the back of the living room, and looking in the hatch the pipes run up the wall upstairs and I think that they go directly across the bedroom, under the bathroom and into the hotpress. the water is hot so would the motorised valve be before or after the pipes go to the hot water tank in the hotpress?

Sponsored Links
If you have a MZV then it will be connected electrically. It's easy for a heating engineer or electrician to find out where, so just follow that cable (or flex).

It's easy for a heating engineer or electrician to find out where, so just follow that cable (or flex).

just when i thought i had heard it all........

At the very least he can check the wiring centre for current at the relevant terminals to prove that a signal is being sent to the valve, and whether or not the switch live is coming back.

my guess is a future tenant has boarded it over

That was clever of them. :rolleyes: :LOL:

wilhelm said:
It's easy for a heating engineer or electrician to find out where, so just follow that cable (or flex).

just when i thought i had heard it all........
I'd be interested to hear your wild misinterpretation of my statement - I could do with a laugh.

dan, s ods law being, that the programmer (ie some potterton shyte) is the wiring centre :LOL:

softus ............

dont panic! ;)

wilhelm said:
dan, s ods law being, that the programmer (ie some potterton shyte) is the wiring centre :LOL:
Ha ha. What difference do you think it makes when the MZV is connected to the programmer?

Fortunately, I have sufficient will power not to follow yet another of your weasely hyperlinks. If you want me to see an image, then have the strength of character to post that image on the forum.

cos if its a wiring centre its a piece of p£ss to trace voltage. but if its a programmer/wiring centre ..it aint.

:LOL:

wilhelm said:
cos if its a wiring centre its a piece of p£ss to trace voltage.
Trace voltage? Who mentioned working on a live system? Why would you want to unnecessarily break the law?

but if its a programmer/wiring centre ..it aint.
I didn't think there were any professionals left who still got confused by programmer and central heating wiring. Thank for correcting me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back