Certification Needed ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had new kitchen units installed at home, and the "installer" has extended the kitchen ringmain by about 4 meters (to provide a supply to more new appliances).

Do I need to ask for any certification, once the work has been completed?

The "ringmain" was "extended" once before (1 year ago) when the kitchen extension was built and a "certificate" was provided by the electrician carrying out the work.

Any advice regarding this would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Sponsored Links
You should get a minor works certificate to confirm that the extension of the ring circuit was carried out to conform with BS7671 (and to record the results of the tests carried out after the installation.
The work also must be notified to the Local Authority because it has been carried out in a Special Location (kitchen).

You should have had both of these also for the work carried out last year (anytime after 1 Jan 2005).

TTC

YES!

He should be a member of a government approved scheme, ie part 'P' , because this is notifiable work. If he is'nt part P then you still have a duty to inform teh council so they can come and test & inspect it.

This is why part 'p' was introduced. How do you know that he has done it correctly, and I'll bet it has'nt been tested either. Therefore the safety of you and your family can not be guaranteed.

Ask him for certs & proof of Part P registration and if he shies away, then it's in both your court - as he should NOT be messing about with the wiring - and you should have notified the council !!

You'd be advise to get in a registered spark and let him cert & check it all out - that way your back is covered should anything drastic happen & you'll have peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
Taylor, correct advise but under PP a Kitchen isn't a Special Location, it's a Kitchen.

Don't blame me.. I don't play Croquet when I should be working :LOL:

jondiy said:
...he should NOT be messing about with the wiring - and you should have notified the council !! ...

So, the kitchen company who employs the "installer" must pay for this..?I have paid the "kitchen company" for "full" installation of all applicances. I had no idea that any electrics were going to be moved. Indeed I have it in writing that "no electrics" we needed prior to the installation.

Lets see what happens when I ask them about it.....!!!

And please report back, we all love kitchen fitter stories

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back