Chain saws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16139692

When oh when will they make it illegal for diyers to either buy or hire these machines .
At the very least they should make it compulsory to buy the safety suit and goggles that should be used.
Ideally they should have attended a course on the use of them, or better still they should show them pictures of the horrific injuries that the machines cause.
I have used many woodworking machines and power tools in my time and have never felt I needed a chain saw.
Its about time the HSE got there finger out before more lives are lost.

Sponsored Links
I worked for a plant hire co. for many years.
We wouldnt not hire them.
They are so dangerous.
One mistake..thats all it takes

When oh when will they make it illegal for diyers to either buy or hire these machines .
Its about time the HSE got there finger out before more lives are lost.

Agree 100 %.

I would never use one for any job.

Also the 9 inch angle grinders are a no no as they are lethal in inexperienced hands. :(

I worked for a plant hire co. for many years.
We wouldnt not hire them.

I take it you mean "would not hire them"?
I always thought that hiring wasn't allowed anyway without providing a valid license but agree with the OP that untrained members of the public shouldn't just be allowed to buy and use one straight off the shelf so to speak.
I use one and to be honest I feel a lot safer than using something like a large hand held circular saw but I'm always aware of the dangers.

Sponsored Links
Licence not required, hire companies will insist you hire protective kit..Dont mean it needs to be on.

Yeah seen that in the days paper.
Very sad. Looks like it whip lashed back in a violent kick.
My cousin was using his in the sticks and the chain broke whiplashing him down the face removing most of his nose and a lump of his skull.
He survived. Just.
Its like a hundred small chisels gouging you all at once.

I reckon you are on your own then.
.Dont worry about it,
Should you ever use a change saw...take care..

i can't see how you can compare any angle grinder be it 4" 9" or 14" to a chain saw, angle grinders have a good 50% of their blade covered with a substantial guard, i'm sure most of us on this site are not diy'ers but skilled tradesmen who are quite competant with most powered hand tools, back in the 80's we used to get the likes of Skil & Bosch sending their reps on site to teach us how to use nail guns & grinders then issue us with a licence.

accidents happen all to often (usually they are caused) but i think i would prefer an accident with a grinder than a chain saw, and am also certain that the majority of accidents happen with the untrained, their ambition being greater than their talent. :unsure: :unsure:

if a chain saw blade comes off it stops if the saw kicks back the blade locks i have seen horrific things happen with chain saws but the people that they happened to are the sort of people i would not trust them with a metal knife and fork to eat with. a cheap chop saw is more dangerous.

Sponsored Links
Back