Chain saws

There's an element of risk in every saw based power tool.

The invention was based on cutting the f*ck out of things.
Be careful and sensible. Simple as that.

One of these days... there will be nothing left to ban.

Sponsored Links
There's an element of risk in every saw based power tool.

The invention was based on cutting the f*ck out of things.
Be careful and sensible. Simple as that.

One of these days... there will be nothing left to ban.
To be fair to LMB, he is simply stating what we all think, that power tools MUST be respected as they can be lethal.

With respect to the case involving Alistair, from my recollection, he had actually modified/improvised the Grinder by fitting it with a circular saw blade! And I may be wrong but I believe some of the lads on here warned him not to but not sure if that advice was given after the fateful event ie he didn't read it before carrying out the job.

Awful, awful injuries to both men in these cases but for the families to have been there, seeing the extent of the injuries and not being able to do anything to help must have been horrendous.

We were talking to him about it that very morning before he went out in the garden to cut tree stumps up.

We were talking to him about it that very morning before he went out in the garden to cut tree stumps up.
Yeah I thought so Joe. God, makes you wish you could have done something to stop him. Poor lad.

Sponsored Links
Earlier on someone made a comment about requiring licenses, now I don't want to comment on that, but are you ( generally/always /never ) required to show any kind of competence certificate/licence at all when hiring any kind of a digger in the UK ?

he had actually modified/improvised the Grinder by fitting it with a circular saw blade

There's a special blade recently developed for grinders for cutting wood. It only has two teeth which sit almost level with the circumference.
I have one. It doesn't make the best of cuts but works OK none the less.

Though when its spinning at several thousand rpm I don't think it would be any safer than the geniuine saw blade and I treat as such.

Concrete diamond blades are dangerous also. I know a joiner who had one buried in his face. Not nice.

Earlier on someone made a comment about requiring licenses, now I don't want to comment on that, but are you ( generally/always /never ) required to show any kind of competence certificate/licence at all when hiring any kind of a digger in the UK ?

I'm pretty sure i could hire out a mini digger from my local hire shop and all he would require is a deposit, he knows my name & address, he does not know that i have in the past operated Poclain, JCB & my favorit a d8 (bulldozer) :D no he would not be interested in that.

Did you know, you are responsible for any thing you hire out, so if the £350 Bell cement mixer goes walkabout its down to you to replace it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chainsaws are lethal in the wrong hands especially diyers.

A novice is not aware of how a large heavy piece of timber or tree will behave especially one that is under stress.

A novice is unlikely to keep the tips sharp.

A novice is more likely to be in a position of danger right from the off i.e. unbalanced up some rickety step ladders etc.

Experienced chain saw operators regularly update their safety certification.

A chainsaw is a brutal instrument with savage power, they need to be.

Darwin awards anyone?

Because one guy manages to kill himself with a machine, means everyone else should be banned from using those types of machines?

Accidents happen. Know the risks. Act responsibly.

Pieces of paper mean nothing, any jim bob and henry can get one for a few £££'s and a couple of afternoons. Doesn't mean he will be any more sensible or know what he's doing!

Again.. Darwin Awards.

When oh when will they make it illegal for diyers to either buy or hire these machines .
Its about time the HSE got there finger out before more lives are lost.

Agree 100 %.

I would never use one for any job.

Also the 9 inch angle grinders are a no no as they are lethal in inexperienced hands. :(

gota agree.years back my old gaffer expected me to use a petrol version in a trench to cut a waste pipe to a cesspit.OF COURSE I AGREED TO DO IT NOT.he did find someone who was more confidant in using them then I.

When oh when will they make it illegal for diyers to either buy or hire these machines .

Agree 100 %.

Also the 9 inch angle grinders are a no no as they are lethal in inexperienced hands. :(

gota agree.years back my old gaffer expected me to use a petrol version in a trench to cut a waste pipe to a cesspit.OF COURSE I AGREED TO DO IT NOT.he did find someone who was more confidant in using them then I.

Sometimes that attitude can lose you your job.

Agree 100 %.

Sometimes that attitude can lose you your job.

But save your life.
I know which option I prefer!
Its one of the few decent things the union movement have achieved over the past 50 years or so.

This thread is just getting stupid now.
The hi-vis safety nannies will want petrol cutquicks banned next.
If you can't use a cutquick in a hole safely then you shouldn't be in the hole with the men in the first place and should get someone to hold your hand and lead you to the site gate where you belong.
There's plenty of foreigners who will take your place. :mrgreen:

There are plenty of Pacific Islanders who jump head first off high towers with vines tied around their ankles.
Doesn't mean I have to take up bungee jumping. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back