Chain saws

You're talking rubbish pred.
There's a slight difference in being trained to work on an aircraft and starting up a cutquick on a building site.
Like I said, when the man in the hole refuses to start up the cutquick he should be shown the gate.
If he didn't know what was expected of him then he shouldn't have got into the hole with the men in the first place.
Is it any wonder we only employ foreigners. :rolleyes:

Pred was a lorry driver last time I heard - what went wrong with his aeronautical skills!! ;)

Sponsored Links
You're talking rubbish pred.
There's a slight difference in being trained to work on an aircraft and starting up a cutquick on a building site.
Like I said, when the man in the hole refuses to start up the cutquick he should be shown the gate.
If he didn't know what was expected of him then he shouldn't have got into the hole with the men in the first place.
Is it any wonder we only employ foreigners. :rolleyes:

the reason we employ forieners is the same as why i worked on the sites in Germany, we were cheap labour, but we were still getting a minimum of £250 for a weeks work mid 70s

Pred was a lorry driver last time I heard - what went wrong with his aeronautical skills!!

He probably refused to use the broom without training as used incorrectly it might endanger his life.

Sponsored Links
:LOL:

You know what I mean! Dangers (or in the case of that old man: better methods) aren't always apparent to the inexperienced.

That was the cause of embarrasment, mainly. He was an experienced driver! :eek:
He was a qualified sparky as well. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned that. :oops: :confused:

aircraft fitters should never go near anything sharp without going on a training corse

i have a spindle moulder in my workshop,3 way machine.saw planer thicknesser and moulder.
i have never ever used it because i am not trained on that particular piece of equipment

I have those items in my workshop also as separate machines and have never been trained to use them. But I use them any time I need too.
If I adopted your attitude I'd have a workshop full of usless ornaments.

well good for you,
now an instruction book will only tell you a certain ammount..i do not know how to safly install the shaw gaurds etc so that is the reason i wont touch it.
training will ensure you set up and maintain such equipment to a level which is safe for you and the people around you,i suggest you brush up on your h & s,because a gung ho attitude works only when someone is earning from you as soon as you become a liability YOUR be on your own ,funny isnt it,when i was at school we were taught how to use a wood lathe,when i got to college we were told we were not allowed to use them as they were deemed to be dangerous!
as said before my attitude has kept me in employment for a long time and hopefully will continue to do so.i will not put myself or others at risk.

the reason we employ forieners is the same as why i worked on the sites in Germany, we were cheap labour,

We employ them for lots of reasons. One reason is they don't give any guff about h&s.

the reason we employ forieners is the same as why i worked on the sites in Germany, we were cheap labour,

We employ them for lots of reasons. One reason is they don't give any guff about h&s.

Then they take their lead from their employers,where I work everyone is engaged in h&s ,end of.

Our guys are actively engaged in h&s also. Rarely wear hard hats.
Had a guy knocked semi unconscious last week when an acrow prop fell on him. :LOL:

I notice you didn't say senseless,he obviously had no sense.

There are dangerous, and i would never recommend someone to use one lightly, and would always recommend some training before hand. And prehaps controls should be inplace as to where they can be sold, ie, remove them from the highstreet.

However i dont think there sale should be banned or control be put as to who can use them. What about everything else, speedboats, quadbikes, ladders, where do you draw the line?

Daniel

The problem with a chainsaw is every tom dick n harry thinks they can use one because they have seen people on tele or tree surgeons using 'em.

They are easily portable, reasonably wieldy and fairly easy to start.

A bloke will look out into his back garden and think " that tree could do with some attention, I know I'll pop down the hire shop and get me a chainsaw". He will then fire it up and start hacking.

An experienced operator will have considered dozens of things prior to getting where 'mister diy' is. A lot of savvy experienced tradesmen will also be thinking similar things.

I'm not at all H&S friendly and am the first to scoff at the nanny state.

But chainsaws are different for reasons i've stated above. The main thing is just about any adult could pick one up and that is what makes them ever so available and ever so dangerous.

For instance, a 1.5 tonne jcb mini excavator could do more damage but a limited number of people would be in line to use one simply because of the logistics etc.

Well said Noseall, what some of the idiots on this forum seem to forget is
that a chainsaw doesnt just give you a nick, its shreds your flesh.

I reccomend that those who under estimate its danger google a website
which shows the injuries a chainsaw can cause and maybe then they will think again.

In any event apart from cutting and pruning large trees which should be
done by a tree surgeon I cant think of any other reason for having a
chainsaw, whats up with a recip saw for those larger than average
timbers, or even a bush saw?

A bush saw? Bet your missus don't use one. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back