Chain saws

I was watching a programme not long ago. I think it was stihl, whoever it was had developed protective trousers out of some kind of fibrous material which was designed to tangle in the blade of the saw and stop it within something like a millisecond. They showed it working, it was amazing how quickly the saw stopped. They also had some kind of addition to the saw teeth which minimised kick back, that was definitely stihl.

Sponsored Links
The stuff you're talking about is Kevlar. All modern chains are low kickback.

On the subject of chainsaws, a neighbour of ours (about 80 yards away) cuts up logs in his garage for 3-4 hours nearly every Sunday afternoon. He works in Motorway Maintenance and we can only assume he brings home the logs and cuts them up to sell on as a sideline or something. (He can't be burning that many himself! :confused: )
I was just wondering if this is classed as a noise nuisance, even if he is doing it for his own use? It doesn't affect us as we only hear a faint buzzing when the TV is off, (so hardly ever! :oops: ) but I'm pretty sure his next door neighbours must be going mad with him.

On the subject of chainsaws, a neighbour of ours (about 80 yards away) cuts up logs in his garage for 3-4 hours nearly every Sunday afternoon. He works in Motorway Maintenance and we can only assume he brings home the logs and cuts them up to sell on as a sideline or something. (He can't be burning that many himself! :confused: )
I was just wondering if this is classed as a noise nuisance, even if he is doing it for his own use? It doesn't affect us as we only hear a faint buzzing when the TV is off, (so hardly ever! :oops: ) but I'm pretty sure his next door neighbours must be going mad with him.

Yes it is noise nuisance. It may also be theft, because the timber will not belong to him if he gets it through his job (assuming he is employed by the public sector).

Also if he is burning them, dependent on where you live, he my be breaching the clean air act.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is noise nuisance.

Assumed so - it wouldn't seem so bad if it was during the week but the area is pretty quiet on Sundays.

It may also be theft, because the timber will not belong to him if he gets it through his job (assuming he is employed by the public sector).

Can't be certain of that but he's always got his Motorway Maintenance hi-vis jacket on and isn't exactly the most approachable looking fella. :eek:

Also if he is burning them, dependent on where you live, he my be breaching the clean air act.

Not sure about this either but we are in a town centre. One of his closer neighbours does moan about the 'odd' smell from his chimney.

I'll have to ask around to see if anyone knows exactly what he does but he is definitely cutting logs as I've seen him unloading and stacking them. Must admit, I've never seen him taking them away so perhaps it is for personal use - just puzzling as to where they all go for him to cut so many so often! :confused:

Cheers,
mrH :)

Point taken, I plan to get a set of "C" grade chaps before I do any further sawing.
When I'm in a pair of Dickies work trousers I'm all too aware of how f****ed up I'll be if I slip up, especially being 45mins from my nearest A&E- if I take out my femoral artery I'm dead, it's as serious as that!
(but with increased PPE then does that psychology of "oh I'm much safer now and unwittingly then subconsciously paying less attention, therefore at more of a danger kick in?" I use a proper Stihl helmet/ear defenders and face guard with safety specs)

I also wonder about them stats- most unqualified chainsaw users(ie home users)probably have saws like mine- a 16" bar max and only a couple of BHP engine. Have you seen the pro saws? Powerful beasts with 4' bars FFS!!! Working in ravines/hillsides in the middle of nowhere,swinging about up trees with huge diameters...

Swinging about in trees with huge diameters??? What is 2Di4 going to say about that???

I'm a lumberjack & i'm ok :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If it does'nt affect you, keep your big nose out. :rolleyes:

Seems to be a debate between common sense and qualification/training. IMHO, to operate a chainsaw, you should have both in abundance, not one or the other.

you sad person get a life

you sad person get a life

Agreed. GD does seem to be the refuge of many sad people. You know, the kind of people who hurl insults at someone making a genuine query because they have nothing better to do.

you are upset because he gets a bit of free wood and he knows how to use a chainsaw

Sponsored Links
Back