Chandelier Re-Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have gotten myself into restoring chandeliers (from around 1920's), and have reached the point of completing a restoration, except for one thing...

Re-wiring...

The wiring in itself looks simple enough, I just need to use the correct wire.

I am aware that as these are old chandeliers I do not need to use double insulated wiring, however, what should the spec of the cable be that goes down the main stem (the one that gets joined onto the house wiring).

I went to B & Q and bought some brassy coloured wire, which is 3 core and 3 amps... is this ok or should I look for something with more amps? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The cable you propose should be OK for the job but in doing this work you are taking on personal liability for the work. Second hand/charity shops do not sell on electric products in a working condition for this reason.

To cover yourself you'd better be sure you properly test each item (flash, insulation, etc) and make sure that any external conductive parts are properly earthed. Oh and get yourself insured in case something you supply kills someone.

Meta-Morphis said:
I am aware that as these are old chandeliers I do not need to use double insulated wiring, however, what should the spec of the cable be that goes down the main stem (the one that gets joined onto the house wiring).
I find this a strange remark, if the wiring is inside the fitting i.e. not exposed then single insulated cables can be used, if it is on the outside then double insulated cables must be used. If the luminaire is an exposed conductive part then it needs to be earthed.
The last light which I rewired like this I used single insulated silicon sheathed cable inside the earthed metal tubes as the fittings got rather hot as they were enclosed. Lamp holders were brass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back