Changing a old board for new one

smthdeedog, which cu you need depends on your supply type, either look in the wiki or post a picture (best option people on here like pictures, and then we can talk about your MEBs aswell).

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
I think thats a rather exaggerated and unfair comparision.

unless the person replacing a CU is really stupid (remember the pictures on here a while back of the CU with the cuircuit cables in the same end of the breakers as the bussbar) then replacing an old fusewire CU is very unlikely to make the installation less safe than it was before.

Ha, ha! I've seen this with my own eyes!

A DIY board change where the customer removed an old 3036 Wylex board protected by external RCD, with 4mm² bonds to both services.

He replaced it with a bog standard incomer board, removed the old RCD and snipped off the bonds (what are these unsightly wires for?)

And it was TT...

And I wouldn't say he was particularly stupid. Most people who do this kind of job are not stupid. They very often just have no understanding of the why's & wherefore's of installations.

DESL said:
what's the difference between the average domestic sparks and a competent DIYer?

About £600 of test kit and an understanding of Inspection & Testing
A good knowledge of BS7671
Public Liability & Professional Indemmnity Insurance

I could go on....

I used to be a competent DIYer & I thought I knew it all being a qualified Electrical Engineer then redundancy made me take up my current business. Oh boy have I learned a lot since then including going back to college and getting the relavent quals

The average domestic spark doesn't have a test kit, a good knowledge of 7671 and some don't have insurance either. Although PP is improving things most domestic installations are still carried out by people other than electricians.

I still see adverts in our local paper for electrical work, "Member of the City & Guilds, Member of the NFU", what's that all about? There are one or two adverts that quote self certification schemes but most still don't.

There are some very good domestic sparks who post here which is very refreshing but there are loads of others out there that would'nt know where to start if they were asked to test their work.

So IMO in some circumstances and with advise offered here a CU change is within the scope of a competent DIYer and some will make a better job of it because it's in their own home.

Pensdown, in my area practically all the advertising sparks are registered - you can spot the non-registered ones a mile off... they all say 'no job too small'! In fact, they won't even let you advertise in the main evening daily unless you can prove you are registered! (At least that was the situation, I haven't used them since May)

Sponsored Links
The average domestic spark doesn't have a test kit, a good knowledge of 7671 and some don't have insurance either. Although PP is improving things most domestic installations are still carried out by people other than electricians.

I think that might have been the case a few years ago

From my experience Solicitors and Surveyors are now wise to Part P and are asking the relevant questions for house buyers about electrical work carried out after 1.1.2005.

Also I now have lots of work coming from kitchen & bathroom fitters as the one I know don't want to spend out on test kit and wouldn't know how to use it. To be fair to them I wouldn't be able but joint a work top!!!

Once the stock of pre harmonised cables run out it's going to pretty obvious when an installation was carried out.

Were the harmonised cables not available and usable from March 2004?

And were not the old colours usable up to 31 March 2006?

In which case there is no way to prove it.

Were the harmonised cables not available and usable from March 2004?

And were not the old colours usable up to 31 March 2006?

In which case there is no way to prove it.

Yes but after 1/4/06 bit of a give away.

All I'm saying is that Solicitors are asking about electrical work carried out after 1/1/05 in their questions before contract and if so want to have sight of paperwork.
If vendor lies then they are in breach of contract.

Also a couple of surveyors I do work are asking the same question.

They're not worried about safety of installation just asking for LABC notification paperwork

dingbat said:
In fact, they won't even let you advertise in the main evening daily unless you can prove you are registered! (At least that was the situation, I haven't used them since May)

That's ridiculous, since you could be a professional spark doing entirely non-notifiable jobs, ie retired spark pottering about on small jobs for folk who can't/won't do them for themselves.

That's ridiculous, since you could be a professional spark doing entirely non-notifiable jobs, ie retired spark pottering about on small jobs for folk who can't/won't do them for themselves.

Just like my 76yr old apprentice does

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back