Changing a plug or getting it done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have to change the plug of a German appliance to a Irish plug. Same voltage, so no problem there. An adaptor won't do however, since it is not earthed and the appliance (dryer) builds up a very strong static/electric field when I plug it in using an adaptor.

Problem is, I now live in Ireland and the electric contractors laugh at
me when I ask them to come over and change the plug. I get one
of two answers:

1) Just use the adaptor, I know the static field is strong enough to hurt, but it
won't kill ya
2) You can not change the plug yourself??? hahahaha

It is a bit embarrasing really for someone to laugh at you just because you have never changed a plug.

So my question: Should I change the plug myself? How difficult and safe is this, considering I do not really know what I am doing? And if I should get it done, how do I get an Irish electrician to actually do it?

Thanks,

Ake

Sponsored Links

This one is earthed ;)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hi abraedt,

I'm sorry to hear your having people laughing at you because you haven't wired a plug before, if its something you haven't done before how could you possibly know.

As the appliance you have is fairly high powered i think the best idea is to change the plug, a converter is not the best solution and i wouldn't trust it myself as theres a possibility it could overheat.

I'm assuming that an irish plug is the same as a UK one so have a look at the link below which gives you a step by step guide on how to wire a plug with pictures too. All you need to buy is a standard 3-pin mains plug fitted with a 13amp fuse, just to be sure on the fuse rating can you tell me the wattage rating of the dryer, it should be stated on a sticker on the back of the machine.

Also if when you cut off the german plug the cable colours are different to the usual brown/blue/green&yellow let me know and i'll find out the correct way to connect them up for you.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/elec_HOW_TO_WIRE_A_PLUG.htm

If you need any further advice just let me know.

All the best
Dan

Hi Dan,

thanks! That was extremely helpful. Unfortunately no wattage info on the dryer, may have come off.

Would you classify the little funky device RF Lighting suggested as an adaptor as well? Or is that something better?

I guess I am trying to avoid having to do the plug changing but if it is safer I will do that.

Cheers, Ake

I was thinking of the adaptor as it is a nice simple soloution for the less technical minded, but I take the point which dannyboi makes, and it probably would be best to fit a proper plug onto the appliance.

Do you think you could follow the how to guide in dannyboi's link?

We will be here to help if you get stuck :D

Perfect, thank you so much for the help!

Will buy the plug, make sure I have the right fuse and check the
colours of the wires. If all is as it should be, I will connect it and let you know how it went. If not, I'll be back!

Cheers, Ake

The funky device RF suggested is a converter but i wasn't saying they are unsafe, i just personally don't like them and would rather wire on my own plug if it were my appliance.

If you feel more comfortable/confident using the converter than wiring on your own plug then its probably the best solution for you.

I just want to say again that the converters are perfectly safe to use, my comments were merely based on personal preference.

No probs with the wattage rating, as its a dryer its fairly safe to assume it needs a 13amp fuse.

All the best
Dan

It`s perfectly sensible that if you are unsure of how to do it then to seek someone who does.
Their are loads of folk who wire plugs very badly and I wish they`d not do so.
The one`s that laughed at you are silly pilchards

the converters for the small unearthed eurplugs are fine, those ones for earthed plugs on the other hand are much trickier to get, horriblly bulky and it wouldn't surprise me if there are some plugs that don't fit them well.

Wiring a plug is not difficult, the trickiest bit in my experiance is stripping the sheath which can take a bit of practice to get right. cut the conductors to appropriate lengths so they go neatly to the right terminals and the outer sheath is gripped by the cord grip. strip the ends and screw them in. Instructions on what wire goes where are supplied with the plug.

Au contraire, I have found the shuko plug converters to work excellently, but I suppose there's no g'tee you'll get polarity right...

Au contraire, I have found the shuko plug converters to work excellently, but I suppose there's no g'tee you'll get polarity right...

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not Simon, but no thats no different from when using it in a shuko socket, its designed to be unpolarised :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back