Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to change from Nest to Hive. I've read a few posts already (this one in particular was helpful) and I'm fairly confident I've got it right in my head, but a few things I want to check if you could help.

Bit of background - we moved into a house with a system boiler, and had Nest installed. A few months later we upgraded to a combi boiler (Worcester Greenstar 30i) and I asked the engineer when installing it if the same Nest was OK to use now we didn't have a hot water cylinder, he said he would disconnect that part and would be fine (assuming this is the loose red wire in photo below?). Sure enough it's been working fine since.

Here's a picture of my Nest receiver at the moment:
20210327-110402.jpg

Plan so far, using the wiring diagram in this thread -
  • I replace the N and L like for like into the Hive;
  • Keep the link from L to the Hive common (1, instead of 2 on the Nest) (this is for 240V switching on the Greenstar boiler if I'm right about that?);
  • Replace the black wire like for like in position 3 in the Hive; and
  • Remove the link between 2 and 4 altogether?
As for the 12v thermostat wiring (brown and blue to the right), I'd planned to disconnect these altogether, but leave the wiring in the wall in case they were needed in future. How would be best to terminate these? (Hive thermostat will go where Nest was, so will cover the hole). Photo of thermostat on wall:
20210327-170710.jpg

This wiring all comes from a separate wiring centre beneath the boiler and I'm hoping not to have to get into that, but if it's a straightforward like for like replacement can hopefully do myself.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Main reason is integration and would be easier to control lights, TRV's etc. through the one app.

Was promising when it was Nest, then Google took over and it all became so limited. Hive have a good choice of other stuff that can be integrated

Sponsored Links
Hi, just about to attempt the same thing, Nest has become too slow. Does anyone have the images to help me please? TIA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back