Changing from single oven to double? Outlet swap .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have just bought a new built under double oven to replace my clapped out single.
The single has been fitted on a 13amp plug with 1.5mm flex which is controlled by the cooker switch on the wall.
In the fuse box there the cooker ring is still on a 32 amp fuse ( not what i was expecting for the single oven thats installed)
My qusetion is, is it just a case of changing the single plug outlet to a cooker outlet and wiring up the cooker on 6mm cable?

Sponsored Links
My qusetion is, is it just a case of changing the single plug outlet to a cooker outlet and wiring up the cooker on 6mm cable?

I would first read the manufacturer's instruction and also check the size of cable between MCB and outlet plate, just to make sure that it is suitable for the desired output of the appliance.

But as EFLI has stated a 4.0mm heat resistant flex would be the normal option but that would depend on the output rating of the new appliance.

Turn the ckkoer MCB off and make sure that power to the oven socket goes off. At least then you'll know that there hasn't been puppetry,

Sponsored Links
Sorry, yeah its a 32amp MCB
Turned the MCB off and the cooker turned off.
The wire going into the back of the plug socket is definately the usuall 6mm twin and earth.

OK, so
  • change the socket for a cooker connection point
    connect whatever cable the maker recommends from connection point to cooker
    Turn on
    Put in turkey
    enjoy

Brilliant, thats what i thought would be the method!
Always good to make sure though.

Usually regular 6.0 mm2 twin and earth can be used, which is about the only instance twin and earth cable can be used in the same manner flex can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back