Changing out an intermediate light switch for a new one

White switches have a white plastic back - imitations have white glass and black plastic back
Think I'm safe here - here's the back of the fascia, white plastic

Attachments

• IMG_2469.JPG
    IMG_2469.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 143
Sponsored Links
White switches have a white plastic back - imitations have white glass and black plastic back
Think I'm safe here - here's the back of the fascia, white plastic
No you are not - there is no CE mark just a CCC mark which is for the Chinese market. Plus retrotouch put the model number on the back of their switches.
Have a look at the rear of the socket picture shown.

No you are not - there is no CE mark just a CCC mark which is for the Chinese market.
Ok, appreciate that, that's not good - will call them first thing tomorrow/Monday morning to see hat's going on.

Sponsored Links
The plot thickens - just popped one of the double plug sockets off the wall and checked the back of that one and lo and behold, this one looks legit, BS mark and brand name. The telling thing about this is that the two double plug sockets, although bought from the reseller, were the only two items sent directly from Retrotouch, the other seven light switches came from the reseller.

Attachments

• IMG_2470.JPG
    IMG_2470.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 157
I assume it just a cheap way of making an intermediate.

Use 2 gang internals but with 1 rocker on the front.

And a link wire to make it work.

No you are not - there is no CE mark just a CCC mark which is for the Chinese market.
Ok, appreciate that, that's not good - will call them first thing tomorrow/Monday morning to see hat's going on.
The plot thickens - just popped one of the double plug sockets off the wall and checked the back of that one and lo and behold, this one looks legit, BS mark and brand name. The telling thing about this is that the two double plug sockets, although bought from the reseller, were the only two items sent directly from Retrotouch, the other seven light switches came from the reseller.
I assume the six other light switches are also dodgy.
If so and in any case I would ring Retrotouch (not the reseller) tell them about the problem - ask for your money back and free replacement products because you appear to have been sold both dangerous and illegal products on their recommendation via their reseller.

All other switches are the same however on closer inspection there is indeed a BS mark, BSEN60669 - I'm now even more confused and think I need a beer :unsure:
I will still absolutely contact Retrotouch to double-check what is indeed going wrong.

All other switches are the same however on closer inspection there is indeed a BS mark, BSEN60669 - I'm now even more confused and think I need a beer :unsure:
I will still absolutely contact Retrotouch to double-check what is indeed going wrong.
If it hasn't got the CE mark then it is unlikely to be genuine - the BS mark is normally but not always moulded into the rear of the switch/socket.
Given there is no CE mark and this BS mark is stamped on - plus Retrotouch do not make this model insofar as the rear design etc etc - it is a fake.

I've sent an email with pictures so will see what they say as I'm sure they wouldn't condone this kind of behaviour from a 'website featured' wholesaler.

Thanks everyone, I will of course complete the picture in a few days when I have answers.

Use 2 gang internals but with 1 rocker on the front.
You are almost certainly correct as I have come across this before ( cannot recall the manufacturer ) where one rocker operates two separate switches.
Single rocker = intermediate or a two pole switch for light + fan and similar circuits
Two rockers. = two gang change over

Plate and switch assembly common to both

Is the new one a 2-gang switch? The wiring diagram you posted seems to suggest that it's a 2-gang 2-way switch, and not an intermediate switch of any sort.
Please see images of the exact switch ...
Been out for a few hours .... As BAS has said in my absence, those images illustrate that they have bodged a 2-gang 2-way switch (the back of it confirms that what it is), by fitting a single double-width rocker to activate both gangs simultaneously, to make it usable as an intermediate switch. I can but repeat BAS's words that "Words fail me", also. Where on earth did you get this switch?

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2 - I'm confused - why are you lost? //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:intermediate_chocknonharm The way I see this 'intermediate?' switch by retrotouch incorporates the Com link (terminal block) into the switch itself therefore doing away with the need for a terminal block. Or am I missing something here - or is a large drink and a dark room needed.:(
I now understand what you meant but, in the meantime we have sussed out what this switch really is - a 2-gang 2-way switch (hence each switch has L1 L2 & COM), bodged mechanically so as to be usable as an intermediate switch.

Kind Regards, John

I'm still totally confused about your reference to 'the terminal block' - unless it is me that is missing something, the only one in that wiki diagram is the one being used to emulate a ceiling rose - if a rose were used, there would be no need for any terminal blocks.
Check out the terminal block in the intermediate switch part of the diagram - that is the one I was referring to.
While we all accept that the questionable intermediate switch the OP purchased is a fake - I liked the idea of an intermediate switch with some form of 'common' loop built in to replace the back box terminal block. Just as some manufacturers have started to build in neutral loops to their switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back