Changing out an intermediate light switch for a new one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a new build with standard white light switches, I am swapping them out with new ones but have come unstuck with an intermediate switch.

The current switch has different terminals to the new switch, see images.

The current switch has L1 and L3 at In and L2 and L4 at Out, the new switch has L1's, L2's and Com terminals.

The first image is the wired switch currently in situ, the second image is the wiring diagram of the new switch.

Advice on how to wire the new switch would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_2433.JPG
    IMG_2433.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,054
  • IMG_2464.PNG
    IMG_2464.PNG
    213.4 KB · Views: 3,126
Sponsored Links
I haven't come across that type of switch before, but I would imagine in your situation you ignore the Com and just connect the L1 1 (old L1 in) and L1 2(old L2 out) and L2 1(old L3 in) and L2 2 (old L4 out).
I suspect the Com allows the use of the switch as a one or two way switch as well.
If I'm wrong I'm sure I will be corrected.

Thanks just had a mate mention to me very similar that I should ignore the Com as the black cables in the connector block is the com and should stay there.

I'll try this out later and report back, barring any more activity on this thread.

I haven't come across that type of switch before ...
FWIW, nor have I.
I suspect the Com allows the use of the switch as a one or two way switch as well.
I'm not so sure about that, since there would be no point in the additional terminals - one can wire a standard 4-terminal intermediate switch as a one-way or two-way switch.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I haven't come across that type of switch before
FYI - The new switch is a Retrotouch model
Any intermediate switch can be used as 1-way or 2-way instead.
Yes I am aware of that thanks, in this case I would then assume that the Coms would then be used instead of the terminal block linking the Common in both the 2 way switches.
Which I can see now in the instruction manual.
http://www.retrotouch.co.uk/user/RTS2020-2040_2_way_switch_switch.pdf
That is a 'posh switch'(y)

Last edited:
What terminal block?
The one that links the Common of the first two way with the Common of the second two way, normally housed in the backbox of the intermediate switch. You can see it in the picture.

Is this replacement switch to which the instructions refer a dimmer or a touch switch?

The first image is the wired switch currently in situ, the second image is the wiring diagram of the new switch.
Is the new one a 2-gang switch? The wiring diagram you posted seems to suggest that it's a 2-gang 2-way switch, and not an intermediate switch of any sort.

Kind Regards, John

Is the new one a 2-gang switch? The wiring diagram you posted seems to suggest that it's a 2-gang 2-way switch, and not an intermediate switch of any sort.

Kind Regards, John
JohnW2 the Touch and Remote switches have the same diagrams for both 2 way and intermediate switches.
http://www.retrotouch.co.uk/user/Brochures/Retrotouch Catalogue March 2015 Web.pdf
page 19.
I think I'm confused but I'm not sure now!!
Time for Tea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back