Child scalded to death... what WAS the thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This was a terrible tragedy. I can't imagine how the parents must feel at having seen their child suffer in this way.

Anybody know what the faulty thermostat was?

Sponsored Links
Isn't that like saying 'my wife was run over by a bus today', Oh ' what number was it'.

No.... was the bus a red Routemaster or a green Volvo?

Seriously though, I can't find anything to tell me what the stat was. Was it the immersion stat or the cylinder stat? If the cyclinder, any make? I know cylinder stats are simple and fairly robust but I'd like to know because I'm thinking of replacing ours as it seems inconsistent.

Sponsored Links
Why would a faulty cylinderstat cause the water in the cylinder to boil over?

As I understand it the immersion heater just goes on heating and heating until the water boils, forcing hot water up the overflow, out of the vent and back into the plastic header tank, which gradually heats up until the plastic softens and melts then collapses under the weight of water.

Plumbing systems will develop faults during their lifespan, but they will usually show signs, the system in question must of been making noises, the parents even stated that the hot water was scalding hot, they should of reacted to these signs.
Don't get me wrong the council are the ones who are responsible for this tragedy and must be punished.

As I understand it the immersion heater just goes on heating and heating until the water boils, forcing hot water up the overflow, out of the vent and back into the plastic header tank, which gradually heats up until the plastic softens and melts then collapses under the weight of water.

This also happened to a friend of mine although fortunately no-one was hurt. She had not noticed any symptoms beforehand, but it collapsed during the night; I guess it's feasible for something to fail and cause a problem in a relatively short space of time. Fortunately hers burst over the stairwell so her and her daughter (who was in a cot) were ok but they did have to be rescued from the upstairs by the Fire service.

........ the council are the ones who are responsible for this tragedy and must be punished.

We can be thankful for the courts of justice then. They may not be perfect, but at least there is some thought before a verdict is decided. Unlike the DIYnot kangaroo system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back