Dogs (why would you do this?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 17 month old child.
Let's buy a dog.
MMmmm, what kind of dog is ideal to buy if we have a young child ...

PICTURED: 'Beautiful little girl' mauled to death in own home by dog | Daily Mail Online

Whilst I of course feel sorry for the parents and the tragic loss of life, why take this sort of risk? I have very mixed feelings about breeds like this and whilst I appreciate any dog can be aggressive and/or attack, some are surely more predisposed to it due to their breeding. If this family had already owned the dog (pre having the child) that's one thing, but to buy the dog when the child was still so young?

Sponsored Links
Sadly not the first nor the last time.

I've been to peoples houses for my work and dogs put me off and i tell them to put the dog in another room/garden if its jumping/barking at me - almost always told "he won't hurt a baby" but i insist some did it first request some the second - the best behaved dogs were the labradors i think you call them

It's crazy. And what worse, they often leave the kid and dog alone together while "popping out for 5 minutes".
Bored dog + bored child can be a fatal combination.

Suddenly remembered an incident. A friend had a weimaraner and I visited when my son was probably about 3 years old. The weimaraner trotted up to my son all of a sudden in the living room, where we were all sat, and my son immediately let out the loudest scream I ever heard from him, that scared the dog into quick retreat. Some dogs would not have retreated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In my view any dog can turn, even just on a one off basis. However owners often have different opinions. I recall having a heated discussion with a work colleague who was adamant her dog would never go for anyone. My (in my view logical stance) was you can never make that statement about any animal that has the potential to attack humans. Dogs fit that category.

I tend to agree, it's usually a certain type of person you see with these dogs.

They probably thought the dog would be her protector

About 15 years ago I was standing at the front gate with my young daughter. A man who was walking up the street with his dog on a lead stopped to say hello. My daughter put her hand out to stroke the dog which promptly snapped at her. He didn't apologise, he just said, "OH, it's never done that before".
I think if that happened now, I would report it to the police.
It was a greyhound so, you just never know. Any dog can be aggressive.

It's an intelligence thing. You'd think people would be extra careful with a little child.

It's also a learned impression.

Children have lots of experience of cars taking them for trips, to parks, on holiday. They do not have experience of being run over. So do not view them as a threat.

Same with dogs and other animals. Always been friendly, never bitten you.

Until they do.

About 15 years ago I was standing at the front gate with my young daughter. A man who was walking up the street with his dog on a lead stopped to say hello. My daughter put her hand out to stroke the dog which promptly snapped at her. He didn't apologise, he just said, "OH, it's never done that before".
I think if that happened now, I would report it to the police.
It was a greyhound so, you just never know. Any dog can be aggressive.

Just proves my point that I insisted that people put their dogs in another room or garden as posted by me here earlier. A couple even had
the cheek of going to "report you to your manager" !!!
Then I had idiots that could not control their dogs but it was often the old beaten record "he won't hurt a baby and some added, he plays with my grandchildren" Bottom line was for me I thought about half of them at least, you lazy, miserable, dysfunctional clowns you cant look after yourself never mind a dog.

All the scally families want these types of dogs. Idiots

I disagree with you because I would not label everyone "all" but I understand where you are coming from and it is close to the impression I get and I know I am not talking about this family and I can safely assume you are not as well.

So sad, when will dog owners ever learn. This just shows people keeping dogs must pass a fitness to own a dog test.

Sponsored Links
Back