Citroen C5 Diesel

dabaldie said:
Still that £1300 is a lot cheaper than if you had been a serial new-car buyer for those 110K miles
never thought of it like that!!

was considering trading it in for a new one.. but then i'd prob lose that in one transaction.

thinking about it the 90bhp might not have the turbo.... (old age senility)..(and i'm only 31) ;)
but the 110 Definataly has a turbo.. either that or i've got serious inlet manifold problems. :rolleyes:

Big miles... probably means everything else is getting pretty worn too .. So get that wallet inverted for the next biggy .. Even on a seven year cycle 110k is pretty big ... Not the biggest I am sure .. But they do not build 'em to last forever.
Cars are like women ... money pits !!
:mad: :mad:

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, the VW/Ford/Seat all share the VAG TDI engine in various tunes (110/130?)

600 miles to a tank? I got 400 once and it was gasping out the fumes with a straw and flashing the fuel light furiously. And that was a steady 70mph the whole way, excepting 3 miles at either end between the motorway and the front door.

But I wouldn't trade the liveliness of petrol over diesel :D Well, not until they can get 100mpg and 200bhp from a diesel car that costs the same as a similarly-performing petrol counterpart.

I saw on TV (Fifth Gear I think)that the whole-life cost of a diesel car is actually no less than that of a petrol car. Increase in fuel efficiency is offset by increase in cost per litre of diesel, increase in maintenance costs and increase in purchase cost. Secondhand value is generally no better than a petrol as secondhand buyers pay about the same for each (which means that the diesel has actually devalued MORE!) My mate's Renault Clio dCi has a 20k mile service interval to my 12k mile one, but his 20k service costs roughly twice what my 2-year service (the more expensive service) does :LOL: So, on average, he is actually paying more per year in servicing costs.

You don't know a certain taxi driver in Stockport. He has a 99 Octavia with nearly 800K. Yes, really! I didn't believe it till I clapped eyes on the mileometer.

Sponsored Links
Clio 1.4 petrol 9.72 miles per £1 fuel
Scenic 1.5 diesel 12.36 miles per £1 fuel
12k miles fuel costs: Scenic £971 : Clio £1235 : dif £264 favourable to the diesel.
At 18k miles the dif is £396 ... (What's the betting the service difference is not £396 ? We do not pay that directly, forms part of lease cost)
In addition up to 1.9 litre engine company pays £x per mile for business fuel miles only.
dif 50x - 38x = 12x or 12 times the payment, favouring the diesel per business gallon.
Remember that trip computer ! av. speed 26 mph, not particularly slow driving, just the reality of time, motion and traffic conditions, quite staggering I thought... Especially when thinking of pushing on a little too much ... What is the point ? Self gratification ?.... at the end of the day the figures are quite sobering.

Bring on the oil burner !!
:D :D :D :D

I am saving shed loads with the Czech Chariot, even as compared with my previous vehicle, a Xantia TDi.

The Skoda is B rated for Co2, coming in at £115 for the road fund licence.
The Citroen was £155 (at the time).

The Skoda only costs (currently) £46.00 to fill up.
The Citroen cost £58.00 to fill up (bear in mind I sold Summer 2002).

The Skoda does at least 500 on that money.
The Citroen was getting nearer to 350-400.

The Citroen serviced every 6K, costing 150-200 every time.
The Skoda has variable servicing, and has so far had just one, costing 125. The car has done 36K, and is due a second service (165) in 500 miles.

Every cost has been reduced. Who says diesel driving is dear?

My accountant has just done last year's books for me.

My motoring costs (2004/5) were 2.5K, compared to 4.5K for the last financial year I owned the Citroen (2001/2).

Can't be bad!!

Weird thing is, I haven't noticed so many Skodas on the road recently. Either they are so popular I don't spot them now, or their popularity has dwindled.

Simon's just waiting for the Octavia RS4 with DSG gearbox ;) It will happen, it was Audi-only in 2003/5, it's on VW in 2005, the Octavia will probably have it in 2006 or 2007 :D

All have seized up --- lack of servicing .. Computer software error... oooer !! :D :D :D
Makes you wonder about the sensors involved, when I recall the apparatus I had seen falling relatively easily out of calibration, Temperature, Flow, Pressure, other measurement kit etc ...
I can only hope the motor manufacturers get it right, but I guess there are some pretty wide tolerances on the kit, else any poor reliability issues would be publicised somewhere ... hopefully.
Trouble is with long service period, if a service fitter gets it a bit wrong, tis a long time before any error MAY be picked up. .. The risk we take I guess !!
Up with diesel !! Red, White or Blue.
;)

I was just joking about Skoda DSG, but a quick look on the Skoda UK site shows they offer the Octavia with it now :LOL:

What I was saying about diesel costs, looking at the Octavia you pay a premium of around £1000 to get diesel: 150bhp petrol is £15685, 140bhp diesel is £16650. Those are the same trim levels, and presumably similarly performing (the petrol version had no figures) I'm sure that extra £1000 would offset fuel savings and tax costs somewhat. The diesel probably has a 25% advantage over the petrol in terms of mpg. So at 10K miles/annum you would have to run it for 4 or 5 years before seeing a benefit.

You are unlikely to see that £1000 back when you trade in, according to the TV the resale values of petrol and diesel variants are similar.

Also I prefer driving petrols. Undoubtedly modern diesels can motor when required, but thrashing a diesel really isn't pleasant on the ears or the environment, and I found the narrower power band on those I have driven frustrating.

Get yourself into that Skoda showroom, Adam!!

Try yourself an Octavia 2.0 TDi (140). I thought my TDi did well with 110, but you really notice the difference. Foot on floor, slight delay, whooooooooooooooosh!!

That's the only thing I found disappointing - there was a noticible delay between accelerating and turbo kicking in.

But overall, huge smile!!

keyplayer said:
AdamW said:
I don't think I've ever been in a car that's done more than 110K .

Really ??? I've had motorbikes that managed twice that, never mind cars.
My old veedub went three plus round the clock before it died, Aaah, sweet memories.

All my cars but one did well over 100K, the Monty Diesel doing 165. The only thing that let it down (bless it) was the BL-standard bodywork.....!

securespark said:
Get yourself into that Skoda showroom, Adam!!

Try yourself an Octavia 2.0 TDi (140). I thought my TDi did well with 110, but you really notice the difference. Foot on floor, slight delay, whooooooooooooooosh!!

That's the only thing I found disappointing - there was a noticible delay between accelerating and turbo kicking in.

But overall, huge smile!!

The word "Marmite" springs to mind :LOL: Some people seem to really get on with diesels, others seem to really not get on with them. I desire the option to hold gears and chase red-lines, so I'm one of the latter!

My experience of diesels, which is also what I don't like with diesels, is that you put your foot down, the power builds up, you hear the revs rising, you are thinking "Hold on, hold on, here comes the fun!"... then just as you are expecting a surge towards the horizon, there are no more revs left. Eh? Wassat all about? :eek: Even my little 1.6 petrol gets angry at 3000rpm and starts shouting at anything in front of it until 6250rpm. If you compare "like for like" between modern sporty diesels and modern sporty petrol engines, the latter will rev to 8000+, sometimes 9000+ with those funky VTEC things. 9000rpm is a LOT of fun.

On paper a diesel might be as quick as a petrol, but it lacks the fun and the soul of the petrol. Seen any diesel-powered sports-bikes recently? ;) And on the flipside, seen any petrol-powered lorries recently? :eek: Diesel is utilitarian and functional. But petrol is functional, or even funktional.

I've never seen a diesel car make someone grin :D

I'm serious, Adam!

If you want a grin out of a diesel, drive a 140bhp Octavia. Apart from that slight lag, it really does shift.

I'll buy you a pint or three if you come back smirkless....

Pip - no....100K miles! All measurements in miles...

Sponsored Links
Back