Class 1 Light without earth on supplied plug

... it looks like a wall light poorly converted using the hole in the base, for the flex, maybe originally for a pull switch
Althjough only one product seems to be on offer, the photos in the Amazon listing (click here) appear to show two variants - one with a pull switch and the other with a cable coming out of that hole with an in-line switch and a plug (in one illustration a 2-pin plug). All are 'wall lights'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The lack of earth is dealt with in a customer question who is advised that if using a plug in method a "ground" wire is not required!

Blup

Last edited:
The lack of earth is dealt in a customer question who is advised that if using a plug in method a "ground" wire is not required!

Blup

Yes, I said that in my OP, but I think this is a misinformed and incorrect response! That is why I came on here to ask, and several people have agreed - that answer is simply wrong!! Are you suggesting it is correct..?!?!

Yes, I said that in my OP, but I think this is a misinformed and incorrect response! That is why I came on here to ask, and several people have agreed - that answer is simply wrong!! Are you suggesting it is correct..?!?!
It definitely is not correct. As you must know it is yourself, the listing indicates that it is metal, and it is clear from your photo that it is not 'double insulated' - so it must have an earth, regardless of how electricity is supplied to it ('plugged in' or 'hardwired').

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Agreed, sorry, just that Blup's comment seemed to suggest otherwise... I am guessing it was maybe sarcasm, that doesn't always come across in a forum post!

:D

Agreed, sorry, just that Blup's comment seemed to suggest otherwise... I am guessing it was maybe sarcasm, that doesn't always come across in a forum post! :D
True - I think the exclamation mark at the end of blup's statement was probably meant to indicate that he found the suggestion to be 'extraordinary'/worrying/dangerous !

Kind Regards, John

Althjough only one product seems to be on offer, the photos in the Amazon listing (click here) appear to show two variants - one with a pull switch and the other with a cable coming out of that hole with an in-line switch and a plug (in one illustration a 2-pin plug). All are 'wall lights'.

Kind Regards, John
Oh yeah, thanks.
To be fair, they look quite good for the price, its just a shame the wiring lets them down, i personally think there worth amending, though I personally would not want a flex out of them showing.

Oh yeah, thanks. To be fair, they look quite good for the price, its just a shame the wiring lets them down, i personally think there worth amending, though I personally would not want a flex out of them showing.
There's obviously no reason why there has to be flex coming out of the hole - they could be 'conventionally hard-wired. Indeed, most of the illustrations (including, obviously, all those showing a pull switch) do not show a visible flex supply.

Kind Regards, John

These fittings supposedly have UL certification.

It may be worth getting in touch with them.

These fittings supposedly have UL certification.
The Amazon listing certainly says so, but I see no UL marking on the label of the OP's item. It does have a CE marking of some sort, be it 'real' or otherwise (but that only relates to 'self-certification', anyway).

Kind Regards, John

Not sarcasm.... Maybe the OP could leave an Amazon review pointing out the defect

Blup

Maybe the OP could leave an Amazon review pointing out the defect

He most certainly should. It seems that Amazon have aided and abetted

Shenzhen HOXIYA Lighting Co., Ltd
No. 10, Ande Street,
Meiting Community,
Meilin Street
Futian
Shenzhen

to encourage the OP to import a dangerous electrical appliance that does not meet the electrical standards of the UK.
Unfortunately they will continue to do this as they have deeper pockets than most.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back