Cleaning rusty bolts?

Thanks for that.

The number stamped on the head bolt on the ones I have removed are BB 6.8

Any idea what this means?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

The number stamped on the head bolt on the ones I have removed are BB 6.8

Any idea what this means?

Yep, it means go and buy stainless nuts bolts and washers, and never return to this thread :LOL:

The 6.8 is the grade of bolt, the higher the number, the stronger it is.

Something like a 6.8 is a cheap bolt, something like you might find in flatpack furniture. 8.8 is a very common grade, general purpose, used in things like construction. 12.9 is a very high grade, like you might find on a critical fastener on a car or other machine. The numbers relate to tensile strength.

The purpose of fitting rubber or plastic washers is normally to prevent galvanic corrosion....between a galv coating and a stainless bolt.

I think a lot of people here are getting confused between zinc plating and galvanised fasteners.

Zinc plated will quickly begin to corrode if left. Proper galvanized bolts wont rust for many years.

As someone mentioned, galvanised ones will only be down to M8.

If they are only zinc plated collars in the ground/wall, you should use zinc plated bolts..... there wont be enough clearance between the threads to allow it to turn freely. Galvanised threads have a much higher clearance than bzp, so galv nuts will go on a bzp bolt, but bzp nuts wont go on a galv bolt......

Getting a bit out of had this :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You CAN get M6 in galvanised:

galvanised grade 8.8 High Tensile Steel setscrews -
M6 x 20mm stock No 91-59-42 £3.09 per 100
M6 x 25mm stock No 91-59-59 £2.37 per 100
and the list goes on ...

We get ours from Parkers of Canterbury.

Please, please stop this now.

^neo^ wrote: "Are you sure they're bolts and not set screws?"

I wrote: "galvanised grade 8.8 High Tensile Steel setscrews -"

Bodgeit and scarper ltd wrote: "I will go nuts if I read any more of this" - yep, he'll need some nuts (and washers) as well ... both also (as per my much earlier post) available in galvanised.

Just to recap ... galvanised (hot dipped) is the tackle you want. Further guidance can be provided if requested :LOL:

nah, stainless. step forward into the 1990's!

nah, galvanised (hot dipped). It held together the dying days of the Empire so it'll do for Smiley's handrail.

What do you think Bodgeit and scarper ltd?? Go on, I know you've got an opinion. :)

bronze! may be strong enough with a unc thread

"How about Depleted uranium?"

Blimmey, I knew this had something to do with Sellafield!!! ... see the earlier references to stainless steel.

What do you think Bodgeit and scarper ltd?? Go on, I know you've got an opinion. :)

Fixings that have a full thread are called screws, bolts have a shank that has no thread and the threaded part is obviously at the end. High tensile fixings are stronger in shear than stainless steel but for the job you have suggested the stainless fixings should give you good service.

Fixings that have a full thread are called screws, bolts have a shank that has no thread and the threaded part is obviously at the end. High tensile fixings are stronger in shear than stainless steel but for the job you have suggested the stainless fixings should give you good service.

What about fully threaded bolts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back