Cleaning rusty bolts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know how to best clean M6 rusty bolts?

The bolts are fine. There are 21 of them holding down my fence rail leading to my front door. That fence is currenetly being shotblasted, galvanized and powdercoated.

The bolt threads need cleaning up ready to use again. The washers are new zincplated ones. Would like to wirebursh the threads but would be great if I could drop them into a pickle jar of acid to disolve the rust. Any suggestions?

Is there any zinc acid to coat them that I could buy? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Try Hardware supplies.
Or, 'Nuts & Bolts'.!
Or Ironmongery wholesalers, (they usually do retail as well though if paying by card they usually have a minimum order of about £5
General building supplies,
the list is endless.
Try the yellow pages.

I have been robbed! I haven't bought them yet but I won't buy them from b and q.

Ok guys here it is. Is the length measured from the top of the head bolt to end of thread or the top of the thread to bottom?

I want size M6 x 55mm I think. That is the measurement from the top of the head bolt.

Also, they are for outside. They have to be painted black when I have bolted down the newly powdercoated fence. So is zinc plated the best I can get? I have seen black but are they corrision resistant?

I want size M6 x 55mm I think. That is the measurement from the top of the head bolt.
Bolt sizes are measured under the head, they will be M6 x 50 m/m
Also, they are for outside. They have to be painted black when I have bolted down the newly powdercoated fence. So is zinc plated the best I can get? I have seen black but are they corrision resistant?
Stainless are the very best , but expensive.

Bright zinc plate will do you.

Your existing bolts cleaned up, will rust very quickly.

A jar of vinegar and a brush will probably cost more than the bolts :LOL:

Shouldn't be more than about £3 for a big bag of new ones.

If youv'e gone to the extent of blasting,galv and powder coating the rail, id be tempted to put in some stainless bolts....
Cost more, but sold in smaller quantities, £5 tops id expect.

But if your painting them, just get zinc ones.

Theres plenty of fastener places about.

lol thanks

I am not sure why I am asking silly questions. I know the measurement is from under the head I just had a mental block! :rolleyes:

Can you get full threaded bolts already coated black? I guess these wouldn't be corrosive resistant?

So it is zinc coated or stainless steel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back