Cleaning rusty bolts?

Sponsored Links
Stainless steel bolts are weaker than zinc plated and are generally not used in structural applications so may not stand up to shear forces as well.

Sponsored Links
Stainless steel bolts are weaker than zinc plated and are generally not used in structural applications so may not stand up to shear forces as well.

Depends what class and grades we are comparing... compare an 8.8 to a class 80, and you have the same tensile strength...800n/mm2

Not an important issue for the job in hand i dont reckon though :confused: :LOL:

hey this vinegar has worked a treat! :LOL:

Unbelievable but not sure theyare zinc plated. Still might go for the new ones. But will wait til the morning.

Smiley - there are a couple of available finishes to these items:

BZP (bright zinc plated) - these are the shiny ones and have been elector-plated so the protective layer is relatively thin so may not last long outside before they corrode.

Galvanised (hot dipped) - these are the dull grey looking ones with a thick coat of zinc so will resist the elements for a 'lifetime' without corroding. Use hot dipped washers & nuts to match.

Finally, items that are threaded approx. 2/3 thread & 1/3 plain shank are BOLTS, and items threaded full length are SETSCREWS (sometimes known as machine-screws in the smaller sizes)

Symptoms..thank you.

I have bought 2 packs of 10 'setscrews' washers and nuts for £191 in b and q. so that is is £3.82
Cheaper than buying separately which was 77p each. I had to buy the odd one as I need 21.
All zince plated BUT the washers are M6 in the packet but the original washers are slightly wider and thicker!

This is never ending. All I want is a local hardware store I can walk into and say right I want a replacement for these exact size. GALVANIZED.
I understand that these are out there but finding a store that sells them. I am not spending all this money on the fence rail, having it galvanized and powdercoated with zinc screws. I will have to touch these screws up with hammerite when assembled.
Anyway, I am going to look for galvanized if not I will keep these zinc setscrews etc :rolleyes:

put copper grease on the threads before assembly, will stop them rusting solid

galvanising wears off in time when exposed to the weather

lol

ok now galvanizing wears off?!! Hmmmm well the threads won't be exposed. The washer and head will and they will be painted with hammerite. So I will keep my options open for a few days as I haven't received the fence rail back yet. :rolleyes:

Good grief, just buy some A2 stainless nuts and bolts, fit and forget.

I agree

it will be far easier to remove next time the rais need maintenance, and will never need replacing.

galvanised won't last as long as stainless. It is not very expensive these days. Plain Steel or galvanised bolts will lose strength as they become rusty. You should lubricate stainless as it will eventually seize together (the bolt supplier will have some stuff)

stainless steel is wonderful.

I think you ought to be sourcing some Titanium nuts and bolts, these will not rust, they weigh considerably less (health and safety issues.)
And will be considerably stronger.

Get them electro coated in black, for a salt spray resistant finish, which will last for many years.

Do not forget to have them X-rayed before use, for any inherent cracks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back