Cloakroom Fan with PIR. Does it exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our downstairs cloakroom/toilet has an extractor fan which isn't connected to the lighting circuit (as far as I know). It's got a pull cord and there isn't an isolator anywhere, so I presume it's either wired into the socket ring or the lighting circuit and permanently live. I haven't traced cables in that much detail yet but it'll be easy enough to figure out. Power comes from the other side of the wall (the garage) and it has the proper ducting that exits through the garage roof, so no worries there.

It's noisy (30 years old), and ideally, I'd like it to come on when the light is turned on, but that's going to mean chopping holes in walls to get access to the ceiling rose and hacking plaster out of the wall to route the cables through the safe zones. So, is there a way of incorporating a PIR? Is there such a thing as an extractor with a built-in PIR, that will just come on when someone goes into the room? If not, I'll have to do it the hard way.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back