CO2 ratio and percentage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Engineer came today to service Ferroli Optimax HE31C boiler.
He checked the combustion figure in the flue which I think was .018.
He said it should be .004. Seems a big difference to me, like 4 times more.

I have just checked the manual and it says to put the boiler into 'test' mode and after 10 mins check CO2 is 8.7 to 9%

Am I right to believe that the first figures quoted are CO2 ratios and if so how do they relate to the % figure...if at all.

Thanks,

andytw

Sponsored Links
the first figure youve quoted is very high , action level is 0.004 , if its higher than this we service it to get it down , higher than 0.008 after servicing & it goes of

What other figures did e produce and what did he do to the boiler after getting those readings?

Mind you being a Ferroli you should be grateful it didn't go up in a puff of smoke the minute he rocked up in his van.

OK, thanks. I was just reading another post in this forum which tells me that the figure I first mentioned is the CO to CO2 ratio.

So. I would guess that the higher it is, then the more CO and the less CO2

andytw

Sponsored Links
The ins and outs of the figures are of little concern to you.

More important if what he did after getting the 0.018 reading.

I have never seen a boiler go that high before.

did he leave any paperwork that says the figures ? if it was 0.018 did he leave it working ?

different boilers ask for different readings to be checked its either the co/co2 ratio or the co2% , i hope that figure you quoted was addressed

Well...I'll give you the whole story....

He asked if the sytem had been flushed when it was installed a few years ago as there was a lot of dirt in the front of the boiler which he showed me.
Turns out, after looking in the manual, he was showing me the condensate trap. I don't see the connection, personally.

Then showed me the high reading which is what I was hoping to understand and said the boiler would need a service.

He has done a service but I don't know what he did as I went off to do other things.
Told me the reading had come down a bit but thought the system should be flushed as the HE was probably clogged and causing the boiler to 'work too hard', causing the high figure.

He adding a cleaning agent and will come back Tuesday to drain and re-fill the system.
I don't have a problem with this bit as I dont know if it ever was flushed and a couple of rads were added recently anyway, but I don't buy into the 'working too hard' theory.

So was just wondering what the significance of the .018 figure was. Am now finding out.

He did issue a certificate which says.. Combustion Analyser Reading (if applicable) and it looks like he has written 0009

Will ask more on Tuesday.

andytw

sounds like a clown installed your boiler and one of his disciples has come to service it. get a service plan with BG, let them have fun with it, Optimax is one of the most unreliable heaps of junk the world has seen, you'll get good value out of BG.

The blokes a knob.
You're correct in thinking the condense trap is nothing to do with the needing, or not, of a fush.
Get an engineer who knows one end of the boiler from the other, ask friends, neighbours etc for recommendations in required.

I would not rush to that comclusion!

The owner is quite capable of misunderstanding what the engineer was telling him.

Each boiler has its own foebiles and some are by nature difficult to adjust withing th expected [arameters.

My advice is to let him complete the chemical desludge/descale or whatever he is doing and then ask him what the CO/CO2 ratio is if you wish. It should be lower than 0.008 and ideally below 0.004

Tony

I would not rush to that comclusion!

The owner is quite capable of misunderstanding what the engineer was telling him.

Each boiler has its own foebiles and some are by nature difficult to adjust withing th expected [arameters.

My advice is to let him complete the chemical desludge/descale or whatever he is doing and then ask him what the CO/CO2 ratio is if you wish. It should be lower than 0.008 and ideally below 0.004

Tony

Yep, fully understand about the expected figures (even if I dont need to understand their meaning), but hasten to add I also fully understood what I was told by the engineer. I will be asking to see the reading is below 0.008 with my own eyes.

Thanks all....well nearly all !

Go on then Dan I know you are dying to :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I was thinking that a clogged condensate trap could cause dodgy readings, but then the boiler would also be making some very odd noises - and I doubt a Ferroli would stay lit long enough for that amount of liquid/gunk to form ;).

I was playing with some figures to see what you would have to get .018 and it was interesting to say the least.

I wonder when his FGA is due for some attention?

Or was he using a stopwatch with a bit of tube super glued onto one of the buttons? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back