Code 2 or 3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im getting mix infor for my question

I carried out a condition report for a rented property. No rcd protection to any circuits. 3871 breakers. Wiring over 20 years old.
On the observations i have put down code c3 and satisfactory.
I have been questioned by the council why my observation is c3.
Ihave rang napit technical and was advised could be c3 or c2. If c2 for obvious reasons its unsatisfactory.
I have read up on forums some sparkys say c2 and some c3.

Please advice

Sponsored Links
I would say code 3, providing that the supplementary bonding in the bathroom is satisfactory.
There is noting potentially or immediately dangerous with regards to the requirements.

Tell the council that it is C3 because you are a qualified electrician with sufficient experience to give a professional judgement on the condition of the installation.

You are an electrician with I&T relevant qualifications, and sufficient experience, aren't you?

Why are the council reviewing your certificate? Tell them it's C3 because you recommend improvement!

Sponsored Links
Thanx for the replys

Iv issued 100s reports for rented properies without any issues
This woman is new and keen to impress
She even forwarded the report to Napit technical to check
Thats a good answer Ban-all-sheds. If she gets back to me thats what il tell her.
Technical guy from Napit rang me regarding this we had a bit of a laf very gud chap. A few missin info ie no clients name just adress etc etc

Iv issued 100s reports for rented properies without any issues
How long have you been doing it?

This woman is new and keen to impress
She even forwarded the report to Napit technical to check
Please don't take offence, but she might have had concerns because of the very poor standard of your written English.

Iv been a napit membr since 2006.

No probs with my english in the past.

Is not that from the email iv had from her she wanted to know why my no rcd protection observation is a code c3

why my no rcd protection observation is a code c3
You are doing a report for an installation that was done several editions ago.
RCD protection was not a requirement at the time of installation.
It has been introduced in later editions of BS7671, but Wiring Regulations are not retrospective (otherwise we would be ripping out every consumer unit in the country and replacing them with metal ones!)

So, its not dangerous, just requires improvement. Therefore C3.

If there are sockets likely to supply portable equipment outdoors which are not RCD protected then I'd go for a C2 on this.

Iv been a napit membr since 2006.
Really?

Strange how less than a year ago you were after diagrams for lighting circuits.
Please can someone guide me to a site wher i can aquire all the lighting circuit diagrams ie old school wiring, 2 way, 3 way etc

Ther is a post in uk electrics under lighting circuit wiring diagrams but i cant open the images and that is exactly what im looking for

Cheers

And that after 6 years as a NAPIT member you asked this:
Hi

Newly rewired property. When you insert a plug in the socket say for example its not fully in its 3/4 in the lights and tv starts flickering until you fully push the plug in.

Thers some kind of interference

Any ideas. Thanx

And really, really strange that after 6 years as a NAPIT member, and having done 100's of EICRs you asked what an EICR would pick up and how easy it would be to fix this problem.
Friends tennant complained that occasionally she recieved static shock from the bath

Called in a leky and found that on the pipes in the bathroom he was getting 2-4volts so he grabbed the nearest earth from a socket and wrapped it around the pipes and still no change. The house Is part old and part new wiring

He wants to get a periodic on the property will this problem be picked up?

Is this problem be sorted easily or will he be opening a can of worms?

What you have said in this thread really does not tie in with the questions you've asked in the past.

No probs with my english in the past.
You are mistaken - every single post of yours I have looked at contains, spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors.

Last edited:
I would agree. While adding RCD protection for outdoor use might certainly provide a nice increase in protection, its absence doesn't make the installation potentially dangerous.

This guide suggests code 2: http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100126678/best-Practice-Guide-4.pdf for Absence of RCD protection for portable or mobile equipment that may reasonably be expected to be used outdoors.
Code 3 for Absence of RCD protection for a socket-outlet that is unlikely to supply portable or mobile equipment for use outdoors, does not serve a location containing a bath or shower, and the use of which is otherwise not considered by the inspector to result in potential danger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back