Combined T&P relief valve

Sponsored Links
And if not .............invest heavily in house insurance.[/b]

Would the insurers pay up if such an unvented installation went horribly wrong? They couldn't be expected to pay up if you hadn't declared the risks they were covering. I'd suspect they might tell the owner to claim on the designer's professional liability insurance.

I don't think it is a wind-up. The OP had a thread on another forum about a different wood-fired boiler.

OP, I would certainly be cautious about this installation. HSE will take a dim view of any injuries or fatalities that might/ will occur when installing unsafe appliances.

You may not like the answers given by regulars on these pages but regulars seeking to put you back on the straight and narrow have plenty of field experience. Ignore their advise at your peril.

have plenty of field experience.

But none with experience of installing log batch boilers apparently.
I've been reading some interesting postings over on the navitron forum from a respected hetas guy which confirms my belief that it is fully legal to fit a solid fuel boiler in the UK on a sealed system provided a few design arrangements are engineered into the system.
My belief is that my set up fullfills those arrangements and will be safe.
I'll know when I disconnect the circulator and run it above 90c with the air vent jammed open.

I've seen a working 40kw solid fuel boiler installed on a sealed system (albeit a pellet boiler) which my design is based on and as was explained to me by the engineer it can and is changed over for burning logs.

Sponsored Links
But none with experience of installing log batch boilers apparently.

Well there is little anyone can say then. You know what are doing.

its a very unusual way to leave a suicide note, still he knows what he,s doing (just glad I dont live next door) :confused:

O.P you may or may not be correct , but & this is the important bit , U should only seal a boiler IF the manu' state's that u can ???do they ???
ask them ??? what someone does & what some one should do are different thing's , if any one wishe's to devieate from manu's instruction's , than they should IF they are responsible ask or contact them , get it in writing ?? That is my advice to you , & I am of the opinion that you will do this , because you are a motor mechanic , which mean's u are responsible for the safety of other's in what you do !!!

U should only seal a boiler IF the manu' state's that u can

I won't be sealing the boiler.
The feed and expansion (as I have stated in the first post) will remain.

A pressure relief valve wouldn't work as intended, the boiler would discharge it's entire water content up the cold feed pipe into the F&E tank when it boiled, before the PRV operated. You'd have a dry fired boiler which would be fill with cold water if a relief valve did then open (feeding a dry fired boiler is usually followed by a loud bang as the water flashes to a huge volume of steam that the PRVs are incapable of discharging).

You seem to be relying solely on the temperature relief ability of the T&PRV. They aren't intended for this; they do fail. I've only seen them on unvented water storage heaters. They work on a change of phase (wax turning to liquid) and, unlike TRVs, they open and close fully in one step. Unvented water heaters have the cold feed at mains pressure; your system would have the cold feed at a low pressure. There is a possibilty that the water will discharge from the T&PRV faster than the cold feed and the top of the boiler will fill with air. When the T&PRV closed, the air would expand, the T&PRV bulb would no longer be immersed.

There seems to be lots of potential problems with this.

Nordio you have absolutuely no regard for UK Regulations remember a T&P Valve is the LAST LINE OF DEFENCE after all other safety devices have failed it should not be used to control temperatures routinely I sincerely hope I or none of my friends and family live within a mile of your property for their safety!! I despair :(

Update. :D
Just got my solid fuel valve station completed which I've pre-fabricated in my workshop.
Anyone know a good source for a 120-150 kw plate heat exchanger?

Your back than Nordio , still alive than??? :D

Incidentally I am going to look at an industrial solid fuel install , in the not to distant future Talbot boiler , It is sealed up , variuos device's in order to stop[ overheat , last resort is a dousing system .

Yeah still alive. lol
All I need now is a plate heat exchanger and it's all systems go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back