Come & Have A Dig At The O.P (mega banter thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I cant believe that this post has went to 7 pages, OK OP lets make this really simple, what you describe as "Kettling" means that the boiler burner system is putting more heat into the heat exchanger than the heat exchanger can pass to either the heating or the hot water system, this can happen for a few reasons, either the system has a restriction due to sludge or magnatite or something else, or the thermistors that tell the boilers Pcb what temperature the water is at is out of calibration or covered in shoite very common , so the boiler thinks that the water is colder than it really is and continues to heat it up even though it has reached the desired temperature so you get the noise that you are experiencing, what situation you have would be sorted straight away with a visit from an experienced engineer the only thing that is a certainty is that YOU DO NOT HAVE LIMESCALE SCOTLAND IS A SOFT WATER AREA, you may very well have sludge in your boiler but it is definately not limescale

Ian many thanks for your explanation and help. Im unemployed and i cant afford to get a professional out, if i had the money i would have done this by now. So im trying to do the things I can do with the help of forum friends.

The likes of the Thermistors, is this something i can check and clean? Is it worth putting a treatment into the system, if so which based on it wont be limescale.

Sponsored Links
You see all the flack that I get from just trying to help you!

That's why I have chosen not to make any suggestions to you.

Tony

The boiler design history was originally based on cast iron heat exchangers which could not stand a differential of more than 11 C safely.

The design standard thus became a differential of 11 C. That was applied to the boilers and the radiators. That was with a flow temperature of 80 C.

When copper boiler heat exchangers started to be used the same differential was kept because that is more efficient for a non condensing boiler and AS WELL the radiators were sized for operation with an 11 C differential and 80 C flow.

With the arrival of condensing boilers a wider differential of up to 20 C was adopted. This better suited condensing boilers as the lower return temperature increases the efficiency but to aid the lower return temperature the flow temperature was reduced to 70 C.

Older radiators sized for a flow of 80 C would be expected to be undersized for the reduced flow temperature, but in most cases since that time improved house insulation like loft insulation and sometimes cavity wall insulation has ben fitted which means that in most cases they are adequate to perform adequately with the lower flow temperature.

Tony

You see all the flack that I get from just trying to help you!

That's why I have chosen not to make any suggestions to you.

Tony

What flack- this is a discussion forum
Nothing to stop you PM Bertie with suggestion.:cautious:

The accepted way that an advice forum runs is that all posts are directed to the OP who initiated his question. I do actually follow this procedure.

Some forums are strongly moderated and any off topic post or chit chat between other posters is quickly deleted.

Bertie, I am sorry that others have deflected me from giving you the advice you seek. To them it is a hobby called Agile baiting! Many can be quite abusive sometimes. Unfortunately because by background and education is not to behave like that I don't respond, its like having my hands tied behind my back.

Tony

Last edited:
So, have we come to the conclusion yet that it is a blockage or sensor issue? For the OPs benefit I'm interested to see if this is resolved!

Tony
feel free to pm me if you wish, it seems to be disabled in your profile so i cant pm you.

dilaio
No it has not been resolved.

Although I post advice on forums, for several reasons, I don't give free advice by direct contact.

Otherwise I would have a full time but totally unpaid job!

Could even be blamed if a diagnosis was incorrect. There is only one way to diagnose boiler faults and that is with test equipment in front of the boiler.

Tony

With the arrival of condensing boilers a wider differential of up to 20 C was adopted. This better suited condensing boilers as the lower return temperature increases the efficiency but to aid the lower return temperature the flow temperature was reduced to 70 C.

The wider differential of 20°C and lower flow temperature of 70°C will increase the efficiency of the condensing boiler but with a return temperature of 50°C the boilers efficiency is around 92%

Installing a condensing boiler into an existing radiator system that was designed for a non condensing boiler is unlikely to produce the reduction in gas consumption that the boiler's quoted efficiency would suggest is possible.

These are extracts from an American Scientific paper on the design of an efficient heating system. On the graph the boilers efficiency at 50°C ( 120°F ) return water temperature is reduced to 92%.

x_con_00.jpg x_con_12.jpg

The author Dennis Jones is a senior energy engineer with Group14 Engineering in Denver, Colorado

Last edited:
Much of the value of a forum is the ability to read about the problem, follow the advice given and see the result.

This is of course bypassed if those involved use PMs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back