Commercial appliance through home socket

Sponsored Links
so looking at thre Electrical Connection advice in the instructions it quotes 2x30A for split phase or 3x20A for three phase

So it might just be too highly rated for a UK 13A socket.
Check the rating plate very carefully if it is above 3kW, then no

Thanks Westie it says 5.4kw so I'm guessing it would just trip the switchboard, the guy I bought it off said it would be just plug and play with a converter.
Gullible is my middle name...

Sponsored Links
so looking at thre Electrical Connection advice in the instructions it quotes 2x30A for split phase or 3x20A for three phase

I was looking at that too. Did anybody spot a neutral in those diagrams? :confused:

The first page also says:

Before connecting the machine,
ensure that the connection data on
the data plate (fusing, voltage and frequency)
matches the mains electricity supply.

I wonder where the OP will get his 60HZ from….

I was looking at that too. Did anybody spot a neutral in those diagrams? :confused:
Yank wiring. 240V phase-to-phase.
... and it's inconsistent in its language. In the text it refers to the 2-wire 240V phase-to-phase supply as "two phase", whereas in the diagram it calls it "single phase"!

Kind Regards, John

Very American of it. They can't figure out if it's single, split, or two phase either.

Very American of it. They can't figure out if it's single, split, or two phase either.
Quite so. In terms of proper technical English, it's very difficult to see how a 2-wire supply can be anything other than "single phase", since one can but look at the pd between the two wires!

Kind Regards, John

Quite so. In terms of proper technical English, it's very difficult to see how a 2-wire supply can be anything other than "single phase", since one can but look at the pd between the two wires!

Kind Regards, John

Unfortunately, it's a 3-wire supply at the installation.

In terms of proper technical English, it's very difficult to see how a 2-wire supply can be anything other than "single phase", since one can but look at the pd between the two wires!
Unfortunately, it's a 3-wire supply at the installation.
Are you counting Ground?

Kind Regards, John

No, neutral. US supplies are split phase. 120V to neutral, 240V between phases.

Are you counting Ground?
No, neutral. US supplies are split phase. 120V to neutral, 240V between phases.
Yes, I understand that, but I was commenting on the diagram which, as others have been observed, has only L1 and L2, but no neutral. The installation would probably be (3-wire) split-phase/2-phase, but the proposed supply to the appliance seems only to be (2-wire) single-phase.

... I suppose no different in concept from having a 3-phase supply to a 3-phase load supplied over 3 wires with no neutral.

Kind Regards, John

OK, so leaving aside the yank terminology.
We are looking at a single phase device that draws 5.4KW at 208-240V.

If so, a single 30amp supply would be adequate.
However, I am confused as to the stated requirement for 2x30A supplies.

In any event, a 13A plug isn't going to hack it.
Then there's the question of 60HZ………

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back