Commercial appliance through home socket

Given it's name I would say yes.
As I said to Bernard, that's always been my understanding - that 'neutral' refers to fact that it is earthed (somewhere), rather than the fact (as will generally/often also be the case) that it is the 'mid point' of a multi-phase source. However, I've been known to be wrong :)
The appliance (probably¹) doesn't care though - as long as it gets 230V between its two poles it will work. In theory, subject to arcing inside the machine to earthed components, and to any suppression circuitry, and operator safety, it would work if the terminals were connected to 2 lines at 1000V & 1230V wrt earth.
Indeed, give or take the issues you mention (if earth potential is also present) the functioning of the load only cares about (indeed, usually only knows about) the pd between the lines connected to it. In fact, it's not that different from a 3-phase load with no neutral - all the load knows about are the pds between the three lines (none of which are at/near neutral/earth potential), and knows nothing (and, generally, doesn't care) about what potential they are relative to earth (or neutral).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
the guy I bought it off said it would be just plug and play with a converter.
Do you have any proof of that?

Was this a private purchase or a business one?

Private purchase, no proof of conversation...

I could go down the line of getting a switch put in but it'll go on flea bay and i'm sure i'll get close to what I paid for it.

Lesson learned do your research before a purchase not afterwards!

Thankyou

the guy I bought it off said it would be just plug and play with a converter.
Do you have any proof of that?

Was this a private purchase or a business one?
That is true. You can get frequency converters but the price is likely the same as buying the machine in the first place.

The problem is the heaters don't care about frequency only the motor so you have to convert a lot of power from 50 to 60 Hz but only a fraction of that power needs converting.

One likely could use an inverter on just the motor but that would mean stripping down the unit and doing some reverse engineering and much would depend what controls are already included.

Likely cheapest option is a new motor rated 50 Hz but step one would be contact the manufacturers who may either say it will run OK on 50 Hz or tell you what parts are required to change it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back